Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I sync Yosemite iTunes and iPhone 2?

Can no longer sync or back up an old iPhone 2 that I use for music. Any way to fix this?

iTunes software lost being intuitive many versions back but just want to be able to access a few playlists from my iTunes library on this.

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 7:32 PM

4 replies

Feb 10, 2016 9:32 PM in response to Kurt Triffet

There was never a device issued from Apple called an "iPhone 2".

The iPhones were:

• iPhone (2007)
  • iPhone 3G (2008)
  • iPhone 3GS (2009)
  • iPhone 4 (2010)
  • iPhone 4S (2011)
  • iPhone 5, 5C (2012)
  • iPhone 5S (2013)
  • iPhone 6, 6+ (2014)
  • iPhone 6S, 6S+ (2015)

Further, you would need to tell us what iOS version, iTunes version, and operating system versions you are using.

Feb 11, 2016 8:23 AM in response to sberman

Sorry, 2007, and latest iTunes on latest 10.11. Did a reinstall and saw an update (3.13, I think- the first one in a few years) The last sync I could do (a few months ago) with no issues was with 10.9 and that current iTunes. I could kick myself for having even thought of trying an update, since I lost bunch of apps that were rendered incompatible, and I don't have a backup of the original apps going back far enough.

Was trying to get Pandora to work. iTunes on phone now crashes.

Feb 11, 2016 9:55 AM in response to Kurt Triffet

I just tried connecting my 1st gen ("2G") iPhone. Still seems to work for me. I have a separate iTunes library for the old iPhone (in a separate user account), because I don't want to lose the old versions of apps that are compatible with it (when I connect my more recent iOS devices). My practice is (or "was") to only update apps on the iPhone, and then let iTunes transfer apps back to the iTunes library. Since that iTunes library is only used with this iPhone, all the apps stored there are compatible with it. I do NOT update the apps in iTunes, because THEN they become incompatible. And those apps do not get updated just because I updated the iTunes version.

I did notice that the iTunes app on the old iPhone (with iOS 3.1.3) crashes. But the iPod app (the music player) still works, so I can sync songs to the iPhone using iTunes (on my Mac) and play them on the iPhone.

Can you describe in more detail what does not work, or what you are trying to do?

Feb 11, 2016 10:42 AM in response to Kenichi Watanabe

Hindsight, of course, is always golden. The iPod app does still work, but yes, iTunes is now broken. I can upload playlists into the phone now, even though I'll get a message that backup and sync failed. iTunes has just gotten worse over the years, so no surprise here. I still have a drive with 10.8.6 and apps on it, but I now regret having done iTunes and apps updates to it. I still may have a drive with the old Time Machine backups on it, so fingers crossed!

Thanks for your help.

How can I sync Yosemite iTunes and iPhone 2?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.