Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Load at headsets on Macbook pro through usb audio interface from external keyboard outputs to inputs 3-4

I'm trying to figure out why there's a load on the output at the headsets of the Macbook Pro outputs 1-2 from the external keyboard outputs going into inputs 3-4 of the audio interface. If anyone has anything similar I would be interested to know.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.0.x), Mid 2015 Quad 2.8 i7 1000 with 16

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 8:37 PM

6 replies

Feb 10, 2016 9:49 PM in response to rickyackel

Thank you for your answer. Yes if I am plugged into the computer, the Macbook Pro, then I must be connected to outputs 1-2 but if I am plugged into the Komplete Audio 6 then I have a choice of 6 outputs or pairs. If I plug into the headphone jack on the keyboard, the Kurzweil's sound, the grand piano, will sound louder than if I listen to it through the computers output. But, the signal is suppose to be the same as the headsets out on the keyboard. I think it's a load because it has to drop somewhere - like a resistor would drop the voltage in a simple circuit.

Feb 10, 2016 10:28 PM in response to Alan Warrick

This sounds like an audio interface issue. You should be able to adjust your input levels of your interface with either some bundled software (I can use Apogee Maestro for mine) or you may find an input level control on your Logic mixer at the top of your audio track strip. Normally the output of a keyboard will blow out the input of a mixer/interface so use of a Pad is normal in those situations. If your not getting enough signal by turning up the input gain, perhaps your pad is enabled. Check your Komplete manual.

Rick

Feb 11, 2016 8:54 AM in response to rickyackel

Hi Rick,

You are correct. There are many options for increasing the level and I usually do that. I usually put a gain followed by an adaptive limiter in the output and turn everything that's not external midi down. The question is if the output of the keyboard is the same as it is at the headsets why is it loaded. Your answer is the load is caused by the audio interface not the computer. Inputs 3-4 are unaffected by the volume knob on the top of the unit. I like the interface. It's nice to have 6 i-o but I only use 4 inputs and two outputs. Thank you for your answer.

Alan

Feb 12, 2016 8:30 PM in response to Alan Warrick

The instrument outputs and the headphone output are not related at all. It takes more amperage to drive headphones than to drive instrument inputs and usually you can adjust the headphone volume with the built in headphone amp's volume control. I am not sure what you mean by "Loaded". Is it distorting or is it too quiet. Loads can go either way and honestly, I have only a vague idea of how impedance and amperage and voltage are affected by each other. In the 80's I had a mismatch between a mixer and my 4 track reel to reel and no resistors or adaptors i found would fix it. My friend with the same mixer and a different brand of Reel to Reel had it work flawlessly. I hope your not in a similar situation. Perhaps the Kurzweil or Komplete folks have an idea. Most mixers/interfaces specify a voltage range that they expect. Good luck.

Rick

Feb 13, 2016 8:12 AM in response to rickyackel

Hi Rick,

I use the plugins such as the gain in order to increase the volume. In looking at the Komplete I have the volume up pretty far. I was talking about the load and I want to explain what I was talking about. But, first the manual for the Kurzweil states the level is the same. However, what it goes into is the difference. I like the Komplete a lot but, with some plugins latency will be interjected into the mix.

Now, on the load: In a basic dc circuit connected to a 10 volt battery if you have two resistors one of which is 10,000 ohms or 10K and one which is 1000 ohms then 9 volts (9.09 Volts), will drop across the 10K and 1 volt (.909 Volts) will drop across the 1K resistor. This is an extreme and simple example but if the headsets come after the 1K ohm resistor or if it is this smaller resistor then the power supplied to the output would be very small. Of course this simplified example is a series circuit. I hope this is not an electronic lesson as I am sure you already know this but, I only wanted to put it to explain what I was talking about.

I don't expect the keyboard to work like it did when it was new but it's a matter of curiosity to me.

Thank you for taking the time to discuss this question.

Alan

Load at headsets on Macbook pro through usb audio interface from external keyboard outputs to inputs 3-4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.