Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes asking for old Apple ID, but it's worse than that

i recently tried to sign into my apple id and it wasn't working. i stupidly made another apple id, and now it seems like my old one is gone. i want to update some aps on my phone, but it wants me to sign in with the apple ID that doesn't exist anymore. i tried signing back into the old account, but i can't. i have aps that contain information that i don't want to lose, so i don't want to just delete them and download them under the new apple ID. is there any hope?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 9:36 PM

2 replies

Feb 10, 2016 9:45 PM in response to sean268

There is hope - don't despair.

The apps you are trying to update are tied to the "old" Apple ID, and will always be so. Your "old" Apple ID is still out there (unless, as Niel indicated, you called Apple and expressly asked them to delete it). Go to: Apple - My Apple ID, and click on the "Forgot ID or Password" link below the sign in section. Type in your old Apple ID in Apple ID box on the next page, and then follow the prompts.

If you do not have Two-Step Verification or Two Factor Authentication set up, then you should get to a screen that asks you to answer your Security Questions. If you don't remember the answers to all of them, then you will need to contact Apple Support to get a reset link sent to you: ACCOUNT SECURITY SUPPORT

Once you have your password reset, you can resume using your old Apple ID, or continue to use the new one if you wish. I have a few apps that I purchased with an older Apple ID, and the way I make the two ID thing as seamless as possible is by keeping the passwords to both IDs the same. That way, it doesn't matter which one is asking for a password.

Your other option is to delete the apps and re-purchase them, but since you have data you don't want to lose, I think the "recovery" of your old ID is the route you will want to take.

Best of luck,

GB

iTunes asking for old Apple ID, but it's worse than that

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.