Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop sounds every time I play a Logic Pro project for the first time

Every time I open one of my projects and play it for the first time, I get a couple pop noises, usually when a certain tracks are played for the first time. However, once those parts have been played I never hear the popping sound again in that session, no matter how many times I replay the bits that popped upon first listening. But if I close the project or shut down Logic and open it again, I will again hear the pops the first time I play it.

It's not a huge problem but it's just kind of annoying. Any idea what could be causing this?

Logic Pro X

Posted on Feb 10, 2016 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2017 4:19 AM

When recording I set the buffer size to either 32 or 64. If I get popping and cracking on 32 bumping it up to 64 removes it.

This can be found in Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > Devices > I/O Buffer Size

If you are mixing you should set the I/O as high as possible. If you get CPU overload errors then you need to bump it back down until you no longer have the errors.

The reason you want the I/O Buffer Size as low as possible while recording is because it lowers latency. You bump the Buffer Size up during the mixing phase to allow as much information as possible to be processed during playback.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 20, 2017 4:19 AM in response to veryhairyharry

When recording I set the buffer size to either 32 or 64. If I get popping and cracking on 32 bumping it up to 64 removes it.

This can be found in Logic Pro X > Preferences > Audio > Devices > I/O Buffer Size

If you are mixing you should set the I/O as high as possible. If you get CPU overload errors then you need to bump it back down until you no longer have the errors.

The reason you want the I/O Buffer Size as low as possible while recording is because it lowers latency. You bump the Buffer Size up during the mixing phase to allow as much information as possible to be processed during playback.

Feb 11, 2016 5:57 AM in response to veryhairyharry

This could be caused by a plug-in.

To narrow down the offending plug-in, load the project, disable one half of the plug-ins, start playback.

If it pops, disable the half of the plug-ins, which are still enabled. If not, enable all disabled plug-in and disable all enabled plug-ins.

Repeat until you end up with the popping' plug-in.

Look at the meters, maybe you see something suspicious.

Best,

DaCaptain

Feb 11, 2016 7:16 AM in response to DaCaptain

Hi, thanks for the help. The sounds seems to usually come from the ES2, although there is one case where it's definitely coming from the Sculpture. I'd just like to add that it's not always a popping sound but rather a short loud sound that just isn't meant to be there. The type of sound varies depending on the setup of the synthesiser. It sounds like when you start an audio recording when the waveform isn't in the center.

Feb 11, 2016 7:43 AM in response to veryhairyharry

It's fairly common with Logic on some (many) systems, Logic at rest does no keep plugins or virtual instruments active, the first time a project is loaded and play is pressed Logic starts to fill it's audio buffers and load data into memory. If you are using automation or have a volume setting on the track Logic could be busy loading data and not get to the volume setting until a bit late so you hear the synth at full volume for the instant before volume is set.

Most people start their Logic projects on Bar two or three so that Logic gets everything done before sound is produced.

As Da Captian mentioned, it can also be a plugin that requires more time to buffer before sound is produced.

What is your Logic Preferences/Audio I/O Buffer set at.

Feb 13, 2016 1:09 AM in response to Pancenter

Thanks for the response. I checked and even tracks with no automation are having this issue. My buffer is set at 1024.

On one of my projects I have a one bar intro. I tried playing some of the first bar a few times. Restarting and giving it time to get ready. Even though I did this for a whole minute, the track still popped. I really have no idea what could be causing this.

Pop sounds every time I play a Logic Pro project for the first time

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.