Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No entry sign on screen

My laptop's sound was not working so I decided to update the software. Then it froze with the colour wheel and eventually restarted but froze again and now shows a no entry sign. What can i do? I've tried to reboot it and followed various internet instructions.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 12:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2016 7:37 AM

I have recently had a similar issue and had a no entry sign when I try boot my mac, I found it was to do with FileVault causing the issue, i discovered this and it worked for me hope it helps 🙂

Mac Boots to No Entry Sign

This will only Help if the issue is caused by FileVault.

In order to confirm FileVault is the issue boot to cmd-r, select reinstall OS X, follow through to when you select the drive to install the OS. If it says “FileVault conversion in progress.

Use the "Security and Privacy" preference pane to check conversion status.”

To Fix

Shut Unit Down

Hold “Shift” and press power once.

When Apple Logo loads appears let go of “Shift”.

This will Boot into Safe Mode.

Go to; LaunchPad

Other

Terminal

In Terminal type in “sudo fdesetup disable”

Follow instructions regarding password and once it says FileVault has been disabled.

Shut down the unit.

You can try reboot normally, however will most likely have to reboot into cmd-r and reinstall the OS.

This will have disabled FileVault.

Once the OS is reinstalled the unit should function normally and you can turn FileVault back on in: Settings, Security and Privacy, FileVault.

My guess is that this issue is caused when the unit doesn’t shutdown correctly when encrypting files for the first time after setup.

Please Note* Do this at your own risk to loss or corruption of data, data shouldn’t be affected by this but there is a possibility.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 8, 2016 7:37 AM in response to alessherm

I have recently had a similar issue and had a no entry sign when I try boot my mac, I found it was to do with FileVault causing the issue, i discovered this and it worked for me hope it helps 🙂

Mac Boots to No Entry Sign

This will only Help if the issue is caused by FileVault.

In order to confirm FileVault is the issue boot to cmd-r, select reinstall OS X, follow through to when you select the drive to install the OS. If it says “FileVault conversion in progress.

Use the "Security and Privacy" preference pane to check conversion status.”

To Fix

Shut Unit Down

Hold “Shift” and press power once.

When Apple Logo loads appears let go of “Shift”.

This will Boot into Safe Mode.

Go to; LaunchPad

Other

Terminal

In Terminal type in “sudo fdesetup disable”

Follow instructions regarding password and once it says FileVault has been disabled.

Shut down the unit.

You can try reboot normally, however will most likely have to reboot into cmd-r and reinstall the OS.

This will have disabled FileVault.

Once the OS is reinstalled the unit should function normally and you can turn FileVault back on in: Settings, Security and Privacy, FileVault.

My guess is that this issue is caused when the unit doesn’t shutdown correctly when encrypting files for the first time after setup.

Please Note* Do this at your own risk to loss or corruption of data, data shouldn’t be affected by this but there is a possibility.

No entry sign on screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.