Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Storage

I have an iPad 2 32 GB running iOS 9.2. For the past few weeks I my available store has reduced greatsly and I keep getting the "Storage is Full" message. I have deleted a lot of the apps that I was not using but available storage is still showing only 196 MB, and Used Storage as 26.7 GB. I have actually added up the amount of space used by each app and it is only totaling up to 6.5 GB!! Would really appreciate some help to resolve this issue as I am unable to download anything (I can't even update the iOS version).

Also, the wi-fi signal received by the iPad is very week, even though my iPhone or my laptop receives greater signal strength in the same area. And, my iPad tends to "freeze" at times. I think these two issues may be related to the issue of the storage.

iPad 2, iOS 9.2

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:12 AM

How much music, movies, photos, eBooks and/or eMagazines do you have on your iPad 2?

Something is using all of your storage space.

In Settings app, under the General settings panel, in the right window, tap the Storage and iCloud Usage panel.

Under the top Storage category, tap the Manage Storage option.

This will take a little bit of time as iOS generates a list of all the apps your iPad has installed on it and what these apps are taking up for storage on your iPad.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 2:12 AM in response to Rudrojit

How much music, movies, photos, eBooks and/or eMagazines do you have on your iPad 2?

Something is using all of your storage space.

In Settings app, under the General settings panel, in the right window, tap the Storage and iCloud Usage panel.

Under the top Storage category, tap the Manage Storage option.

This will take a little bit of time as iOS generates a list of all the apps your iPad has installed on it and what these apps are taking up for storage on your iPad.

Feb 14, 2016 9:28 PM in response to Rudrojit

If you can't get this list to generate, because your iPad has little storage space left, you may need to look through these apps manually to see what you can delete.

Ideally, your iDevice should maintain a minimum free storage amount of 4- 6 GBs or greater on any iDevice (the more free space, the better) , plus, more than 50%-60% battery status to ensure proper operation.

Anything below 2 Gbs of free storage space left on your iDevice and it will start experiencing more operational issues.

You should NOT be running an iDevice down to full storage as the OS needs sufficient storage space to function adequately.

If you want to, if you have a computer running the most latest version of iTunes (12.3.2), you could perform a restore of your iPad using my modified method listed below.

Here is my own modified backup/restore procedure that has already worked, successfully, for several iPad 2/3 users, so far!

I have done this and my iPad 2 and 3 are working like new, " out of the box" units!

THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT RETURN YOUR iPAD TO ITS PREVIOUS iOS VERSION.

Also, as a disclaimer.

I make no guarantees, expressed or implied, that any of my own procedures will return EVERY older iPad to a usable, running condition.

First, connect your iPad to USB and sync and backup your iPad to iTunes (make sure,FIRST, your iTunes is up to the most latest version).

Then disconnect/eject your iPad from the computer.

From just the iPad, in the Settings App under the General setting, look in the right column for Reset option, then erase and reset your iPad to completely erase your iPad and then, again, from the iPad, set it up as a new iPad setup to factory "out of the box" operation.

Then reconnect your iPad to the computer and make sure to cancel the syncing, by tapping the small X to the left in the top center iTunes display box.

iTunes should detect your iPad. If iTunes begins to try and sync, again, cancel the sync.

Select Restore from Backup instead and pick your last backup to restore back to your iPad.

Once the restore is complete, finish setting up the iPad and let it sync back to iTunes you can either cancel the sync, again or let it backup, again.

Then disconnect the iPad.

Do one hard reset of your iPad by holding down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Once your iPad is back to the Home screen,

In the Settings App under the General tab, to the right under Spotlight sesrch, try disabling the search under apps that really do not need a search, like some games, remotes, apps that really do not need to be searched, etc., to reduce the list for Spotlight to search.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

If you purchased any music from iTunes, you will need to redownload that content back to your iPad for playing directly from your iPad and not from Apple Music servers.

Also, if your iPad contained a lot of images in the Photos app, these will take time to regenerate the original AND thumbnail images themselves inside of the Photos app when you first launch it.

Good Luck!

iPad Storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.