Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lag and stuttering

I bought my Macbook pro 15" mid 2015 a couple of days ago, whenever I use iTunes and scroll down it drops the fps so low it's unusable, when I've been using an IDE like Atom or Xamarin Studio there is a notable lag when moving around my code, also when swiping between virtual desktops sometimes lags.

Should I take my laptop back to the Apple store to get it checked out? Or is this a common problem with OSX.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:01 AM

3 replies

Feb 11, 2016 4:27 AM in response to McSwaggens

Without knowing more it is hard to tell. EtreCheck is a program you can run which will poll your computer and provide information you can paste into the forum here which might be useful in answering your question. In general, no, your computer isn’t acting normally. However without additional information it is impossible to know if it is hardware, software, or self-inflicted.

Feb 11, 2016 6:21 AM in response to dwb

I've done some investigating and downloaded some software the that shows the current FPS of (what I'm guessing is) the window server, when idle it sits at 2-3 FPS (window server/wm seems to have a dynamic FPS) and scrolling down a webpage (on safari) it sits at a constant 60FPS, when in iTunes it drops down to 13FPS and some times lower.

The weird thing is the GPU usage stays low when in iTunes, but in safari it goes up (when scrolling).

Feb 11, 2016 7:48 AM in response to McSwaggens

The warranty entitles you to complimentary phone support for the first 90 days of ownership.

If you bought the product in the U.S. directly from Apple (not from a reseller), you have 14 days from the date of delivery in which to exchange or return it for a refund. In other countries, the return policy may be different. If you bought from a reseller, its return policy applies.

Lag and stuttering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.