Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a kernel panic, suspect filesystem corruption

A bit of history... When I first got the machine it had Yosemite on it. The upgrade failed, then every time I booted launchd would panic when trying to login. A internet restore then failed, as it wouldn't even format the disk, then failed a 2nd time. I managed to eventually use diskutil to wipe it completely, then install again from the internet. When upgrading to 10.11.3, I also had problems and had to repair the filesystem again. I'm wondering if it's only exhibiting problems when under load & doing plenty of IO.

Anyway, I just tried to update Xcode to 7.2.1 via the Mac App Store, and the machine is kernel panicking again.

I've just about had enough - This is my 3rd MacBook Pro (I've also had a Mac Pro and a 27" iMac in the past) - I've never had so many problems with Apple hardware, normal it just all works, so I'm convinced this unit is defective. There isn't a Genius Bar appointment near me for another week, either.

Details:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro12,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i5

Processor Speed: 2.9 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Boot ROM Version: MBP121.0167.B15

SMC Version (system): 2.28f7

Panic link: http://pastebin.com/cA3mnkKM

Thanks,

Phil

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 1:55 AM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2016 8:27 AM in response to Linc Davis

Linc Davis wrote:

If any external storage devices are connected, please disconnect them and see whether the panics stop. Also unmount all mounted disk images, including any hosted on a network file server.

There were no external devices or disk images mounted the last 2 times it panicked.

I will try and reproduce it again by attempting an xcode software update again.

I might just net-reinstall from scratch again and see if it dies when upgrading to 10.11 (again) - that should pretty much conclusively prove it's hardware.

Getting a kernel panic, suspect filesystem corruption

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.