Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost disk space because of boot camp partition for windows

Hi everyone,

I have a problem with my macbook. Once a decide install windows via boot camp. Everything is ok, I`ll star boot camp, create windows partition (100GB for windows) and start windows setup, in windows I format windows partition by tutorial in apple site and start install windows...after that windows shows some errors that cant install windows, so a cancel every thing a restart mac (I said to myself that I can live without windows), so I start mac and I look at my disk. I have 500GB SDD, mac normally shows me 500GB but the disk strip show me only 400GB. I understand that the missing 100GB is windows partition, but problem is now. I cant find that partition, neither disk utility, neither normally. Boot camp cant start because error boot camp error the startup disk cannot be partitioned etc.

Some ideas how to run boot camp with this problem or how can run windows instal without boot camp a try install windwos again? Sorry for my English 🙂 And thank you for any answer.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:00 AM

3 replies

Feb 13, 2016 8:58 AM in response to oboda7

The simplest and safest method to get your disk space back is

1. Backup OSX and all your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

2. Boot into Internet Recovery (Command+Opt+R) - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support .

3. Click on Utilties -> Disk Utility and Erase your internal whole disk.

4. Restore OSX and your files - Use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support .

This requires a separate external disk which can accommodate TM backup - Backup disks you can use with Time Machine - Apple Support .

Lost disk space because of boot camp partition for windows

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.