Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2 will not go away

Hi all,

I keep doing the Software Update (Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2), and it seems to install (I don't get any error message), and then the red bubble on the app store is still there. It says I've installed it 4 times in the last 30 days, and yet the update is still there!

User uploaded file

I don't think it's actually installed, from what I've read on other forums, because it is not the correct version.

User uploaded file

Nothing is plugged into the port, which I've read has been the cause of some other people's problems with the update. The charger has been in every time I've done it so far, as per the instructions.

Side note - when I googled this problem, lots of people have been asking questions about this update since 2013/14. Why have I only just received the update in the last month?

Thanks a lot!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:55 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2016 7:01 AM in response to rk6547

This procedure will delete certain temporary and cache files. The files are automatically generated and don't contain any of your data. Occasionally they can become corrupt and cause problems such as yours.

Please back up all data and read this whole message before doing anything.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/var/folders/zz/zyxvpxvq6csfxvn_n00000s0000068

Right-click or control-click the highlighted line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with a subfolder selected. The subfolder has a long name beginning with "zyx" and ending with "68". Move that subfolder to the Trash. Don't move any of the other subfolders with similar names. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and empty the Trash.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You may not see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Thunderbolt Firmware Update 1.2 will not go away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.