Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Software Update Corruption Makes Me Unable to Reinstall iTunes

Hey guys,

Hope you can help me with this, it's been bugging me for the better part of a month.

So a little while ago I tried to update iTunes. The update crashed midway through, I didn't think much of it at the time and just reinstalled it with no problem.

Then about a week after that iTunes stops working. Not sure how, but it was somehow uninstalled. Another reinstall with the same installer I downloaded for the last time and it was working again, no worries.

The next day however, iTunes stops working again. Says that some vital files are missing. I uninstall iTunes and all the support programs and attempt to reinstall...

But it doesn't work. It says that "The older version of Apple Software Update cannot be removed". I then go into Add/Remove Programs and try to uninstall it that way. It says "The configuration data for this product is corrupt." However, all the files are deleted. There isn't a trace of this program on my computer, but somehow it's saying it's corrupt and I can't reinstall iTunes without uninstalling Apple Software Update.

If you have any idea how to fix this, please let me know as it is driving me crazy.

Thanks!

Windows Computer-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:10 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2016 5:58 AM in response to thatMEGAdude

Try repairing Apple Software Update from the Programs and Features control panel, then reinstall iTunes.

If it isn't there to remove see the Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall utility mentioned in note 1 to the second box of the user tip mentioned below. As a last resort see the section Install missing components and install everything apart from ASU.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Apple Software Update Corruption Makes Me Unable to Reinstall iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.