Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charge not compatible; original accessories

Hello!

I've already posted this question in Portuguese, but no one replied it yet, so I'm posting in English.

I have an old iPhone 3GS that still works fine (the battery is a little old and the mute selector is not working well lately, but except that, it's fine). In the last week, it started to display the message "Charging is not supported with this accessory" when I try to charge with the charge adapter. Either the charge adapter and the USB cord are originals. The USB cord is a little newer than the charge adapter; I had to change it once. If I plug the iPhone in my PC using this same USB cord, the iPhone is charged correctly; when I use the adapter to charge another iPhone (using other USB cable), it works correctly.

I have already tried to clean up the connector below the iPhone; made a backup and restored the device from the backup; but nothing of these solved the problem.

I've run out of ideas.

Thank you all!

iPhone 3GS, iOS 6.1.6, null

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:47 AM

2 replies

Feb 12, 2016 10:43 AM in response to bgarber

Howdy bgarber,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

I see you're getting an error on the screen of your iPhone that the accessory is not supported. This can happen for a few reasons, as are outlined below. Given your troubleshooting already done, all you can next try to do is try another USB cable, update iOS, or contact Apple Support for service options.

If an alert says that your accessory isn't supported or certified

These alerts can appear for a few reasons: Your iOS device might have a dirty or damaged charging port, your charging accessory is defective, damaged, or non Apple-certified, or your USB charger isn't designed to charge devices.

Follow these steps:

1. Remove any debris from the charging port on the bottom of your device.
  2. Restart your iOS device.
  3. Try a different USB cable or charger.
  4. Make sure that you have the latest version of iOS.
  5. Contact Apple Support to set up service.

Charge your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Take care.

Feb 12, 2016 1:50 PM in response to chuck_3rd

Hi!

Thanks for your reply!

In fact, I have already tried ALL of these steps, with no success. I'm using this same cable for a long time; the error just started to show up a few weeks ago with no apparent reason. If I use the same charger with another iPhone, it works correctly (so, the charger is not the problem). If I connect the iPhone with this same USB cable to my PC, it charges correctly (so the cable is not defective either). I tried to use another cable, but this one really is old; I'm not sure if it does still work.

Well, I think I'll have to contact the authorized technical support here in my city to try to fix it.

Thanks!

Charge not compatible; original accessories

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.