Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Library on External Drive

Hi,

I have recently bought a new macbook so i exported my iTunes Library to an external drive from my Mac. I have now opened iTunes & selected the library i want to use (ie. the one on the external hard drive). I would like to continue to have the songs on my hard drive so that they are not taking up all the space on my new macbook.

i have made changes to my Library in iTunes, does that save the information i change onto the hard drive for the next time i plug it in to use or ? i.e. (song artists, album art, etc.)

PLEASE HELP, iTunes is my life i need to know.

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:52 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2016 5:53 AM in response to amymarshall13

This is how you move an entire library so it does everything (with minor exceptions such as backing up i-devices) from the new drive:

Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive, hold down the option/alt key while starting iTunes, and when requested to select a library select the iTunes Library.itl file in the copied folder.

If you tried it by changing preferences settings that did not move your library.

iTunes Library on External Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.