Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bless Tool

I Have just erased my HD on a Mac book Pro to give to a friend. However I have tried to reinstall Mac OS X 10.6.3 which came with my computer, alas it keeps telling me Mac OS X cannot start from this disc , now I cannot get the disc out. I also tried the Network start up and it says the Bless tool was unable to set the current boot. Help!!

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 5:08 AM

12 replies

Feb 11, 2016 5:52 AM in response to Didee3

What model MacBook?

How did you erase the HD?

If one of these:

Then it seems that the EFI firmware was updated for Internet Recovery

Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery - Apple Support

What happens when yo try to boot to Recovery?

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Feb 11, 2016 1:46 PM in response to Didee3

- A 2008 MacBook Pro came with OSX 10.5.

Therefore I so nor understand your statement "I Have just erased my HD on a Mac book Pro to give to a friend. However I have tried to reinstall Mac OS X 10.6.3 which came with my computer".

If the 10.6.3 DVD cam with another Mac it will not work in your mac. Install DVDs that came with a Mac can only be used with the model Macs they came with.

- Do you have access to another Mac?

Feb 11, 2016 1:53 PM in response to lllaass

The MacBook Pro I am referring to was purchased with Mac OS X 10.6.3 ( I thought it was in 2008 however must have been later) and I have the installation discs which I have been using to try to reinstall Mac OS X 10.6.3 .

I purchased a MacBook Air 2 years ago and do have this set up with Yosemite 10.10.5

Feb 11, 2016 2:03 PM in response to Didee3

What MacBook Pro do you have?

Only the 15" Mid 2010 could have came with 10.6.3.

On the MacBook

- Download the appropriate OSX installer. They should be listed in the Purchased section of the Mac App Store if you previously downloaded them with the ID you are using.

- Make a bootable USB media using the following:

DiskMaker X

- Boot the old mac from that media and repair the startup disk

Feb 11, 2016 2:38 PM in response to lllaass

The MacBook Pro I purchased new had 10.6.3 and was already loaded when I picked it up. I was given the install DVD.

When I download the OS X installer it says it is unavailable. I have been logging in with the person I am giving the computer to using their Apple ID and Password as it indicated during the set up that I should not go any further using my apple ID.

I have downloaded Diskmaker X using a USB, however this is not recognised by the MacBook Pro, it does not show anywhere.

Mar 21, 2016 2:52 PM in response to Didee3

If You used the recovery partition to erase the drive and then tried using the install disk to reinstall. You would still have the recovery partition on the internal drive. Therefore your install disk would see that and not install. You have two options. Use the recovery partition to erase and reinstall. Then shut down the computer after the reboot. So it stops at the setup screen. Or, use the install disk to completely erase the internal drive and then install from the disk. Shutting down at the reboot setup screen.

Bless Tool

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.