Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop screen on macbook pro flashing black, dock missing, view of windows messed up

Got mac pro fairly recently w no problems till now. After turning it on out of sleep desktop started flashing black non stop. Tried several times shutting down and restarting but would just happen again. Application windows work fine but won't enter full screen mode (I get the "cant do that" beep when i try). Desktop behind windows keeps flashing, sometimes "splits" screen covering portion of windows. On top of flashing its like boundary bw screens is messed up, sometimes split between two or cut off. Also the dock is missing. Help!

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 4:40 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2016 5:44 AM in response to scsmythe93

It sounds like your Mac is possibly getting confused between screens etc. One thing to try and solve this problem is to reset the SMC in the computer.

Do this by -

- turn your computer off

- press and keep pressing Shift + Control + Option (Alt)

- switch on your computer keeping Shift + Control + Option (Alt) pressed

Once your see/hear that your computer has started, you can release all the buttons.

I hope that is solves your problem for you.

Good luck and do please report back to this forum.

Desktop screen on macbook pro flashing black, dock missing, view of windows messed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.