Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 53 - how can I check?

Hi All,

I read about error 53 and I am now scared to update my iPhone 6

I broke the screen and replaced it myself a while ago.

I kept the Home button from the original screen as my Touch ID wouldn't work with the one from the new screen. I don't know about the cable, but my Touch ID works fine now.

But as I've done this, how do I know if my phone is gonna brick if/when I update it?

Surely if this is a feature there must be a way to know before I update it....

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 6:20 AM

22 replies

Feb 11, 2016 8:26 AM in response to James Jackson6

Don't update!!!! I did it today and now my Iphone 6 is worthless and not working anymore (error53) I cannot describe how angry I am at Apple. I found out that you get 'punished' for having your Iphone repaired at a non-official Apple dealer, as I did. My Iphone was working fine, until I wanted to update. I cannot use it anymore and Apple doesnt want to repair because I went to someone else before. They force me to buy a new one. I'M FURIOUS!

Feb 11, 2016 3:47 PM in response to Schoon84

Schoon84 wrote:

Don't update!!!! I did it today and now my Iphone 6 is worthless and not working anymore (error53) I cannot describe how angry I am at Apple. I found out that you get 'punished' for having your Iphone repaired at a non-official Apple dealer, as I did. My Iphone was working fine, until I wanted to update. I cannot use it anymore and Apple doesnt want to repair because I went to someone else before. They force me to buy a new one. I'M FURIOUS!

No, your are not being punished, your security is being protected. Read this and you will understand: https://theoverspill.wordpress.com/2016/02/08/explaining-the-iphones-error53-and -why-it-puts-apple-between-conspiracy-an…

Feb 11, 2016 3:51 PM in response to James Jackson6

James Jackson6 wrote:

Hi All,

I read about error 53 and I am now scared to update my iPhone 6

I broke the screen and replaced it myself a while ago.

I kept the Home button from the original screen as my Touch ID wouldn't work with the one from the new screen. I don't know about the cable, but my Touch ID works fine now.

But as I've done this, how do I know if my phone is gonna brick if/when I update it?

Surely if this is a feature there must be a way to know before I update it....

Thanks for reading, hope you can help.

If your touch ID works and you can use Apple Pay it won't be bricked if you update it. See this for an explanation of Error 53: Error 53 intelligent write-up

Feb 11, 2016 4:27 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

I completely disagree, also after reading the article. For me it feels i'm not allowed to go to another repair service. It would be different if Apple would repair my Iphone now, but they won't. They simply say I have to buy a new one. And they never warned me for this! Thats why I feel fooled. To have a different view, read this: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-upda te-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

Feb 11, 2016 4:55 PM in response to Schoon84

Schoon84 wrote:

I completely disagree, also after reading the article. For me it feels i'm not allowed to go to another repair service. It would be different if Apple would repair my Iphone now, but they won't. They simply say I have to buy a new one. And they never warned me for this! Thats why I feel fooled. To have a different view, read this: http://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/feb/05/error-53-apple-iphone-software-upda te-handset-worthless-third-party-repair

I read the Guardian article, probably long before you saw it. Their research was abysmal; if this is the quality of their writing I'm thinking of canceling my subscription.

The truth is that a competent repair facility can repair a phone without breaking Touch ID. Whoever fixed your phone was not competent. They owe you a new phone.

Error 53 - how can I check?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.