Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling OS X Yosemite with a USB pen drive

Is it possible to create a USB pen drive in order to reinstall OS X Yosemite on a MacBook Air 13" (2015) ?

How can I create this USB pen drive ? I don't know the steps of this procedure. Besides I can't find the installer of Yosemite in the Mac App Store.

Thank you !

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 5:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2016 9:21 AM

Howdy Intruder_99,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Yes, if you already purchased Yosemite you can create a bootable USB flash drive to install it.

See Create a bootable installer for OS X - Apple Support

If you don't currently have your purchased Yosemite downloaded, you can redownload it.

Download your past purchases - Apple Support

Best regards.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 14, 2016 9:21 AM in response to Intruder_99

Howdy Intruder_99,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Yes, if you already purchased Yosemite you can create a bootable USB flash drive to install it.

See Create a bootable installer for OS X - Apple Support

If you don't currently have your purchased Yosemite downloaded, you can redownload it.

Download your past purchases - Apple Support

Best regards.

Feb 14, 2016 9:22 AM in response to Intruder_99

Hi Intruder_99,

If you don't have the installer for Yosemite you can use OS X Recovery to install to an external drive.

See: Use the version of OS X that came with your Mac, or a compatible newer version - Apple Support

You can use OS X Recovery to install a version of OS X on an external drive that's compatible with your Mac.

and: How to install OS X on an external drive connected to your Mac - Apple Support

Note that is for installing OS X onto the pen drive, not creating an installer, but you may not need the pen drive as an installer if you can use the Internet installer.

Hope that helps.

Reinstalling OS X Yosemite with a USB pen drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.