Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use an iPad charger to charge MacBook?

In my quest to carry less stuff around with me I was wondering if a 10W iPad charger with a USB Male - USB-C cable would be a good bag accessory? It would mean that I only need one charger for iPhone, iPad and MacBook when on the road. (and it's tiny!). Would it provide just enough power to run the MacBook when I have drained the battery completely? Does anyone know what the total draw of a MacBook in operation would be?

MacBook, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 6:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 17, 2017 2:01 PM

Work ok with my 2016 MacBook Pro.

The charging time is longer than the original usb-c charger. When I connect the Mac to the iPad charger and keep working on the computer its keep the battery percentage the same (add 1% every 15-20min). if you don't touch the computer it will take six times longer than the original charger for a full charge (10w iPad charger compare to 61w usb-c power adapter).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 17, 2017 2:01 PM in response to Firebird74

Work ok with my 2016 MacBook Pro.

The charging time is longer than the original usb-c charger. When I connect the Mac to the iPad charger and keep working on the computer its keep the battery percentage the same (add 1% every 15-20min). if you don't touch the computer it will take six times longer than the original charger for a full charge (10w iPad charger compare to 61w usb-c power adapter).

Feb 12, 2016 12:32 PM in response to Firebird74

Hello Firebird74,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you would like to use the 10W power adapter from your iPad to charge your MacBook Pro. I found the following article on which power adapters are for use with the MacBook Pro:

Find the right power adapter and cord for your Mac notebook

According to the power output listed on the adapters for the Macbook Pro, depending on the model you have, the adapters range from 29W to 85W and the 10W iPad adapter would just not provide enough power.

Best regards.

Can I use an iPad charger to charge MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.