Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fusion drive vs HDD with Logic X and Motu

Hi ppl, I have a doubt I'd appreciate some help with.
Going to purchase the new iMac 27", 5K, to work with Logic X and Motu 828 Mk3.

I'd go for the i7 processor, along with 32 GB mem. That would be a reasonable powerful machine, but to go for the i7 processor, the hard drive is no longer an option, at least is not available on the iMac configuration page. The options available with the i7 are Fusion Drive and Flash (flash being too expensive)
So I'm stuck with choosing between an i5 with the 1TB HD, or, an i7 with 1TB Fusion drive.
There's no point on having a more powerful machine and then have issues with the Fusion Drive and Logic or the Motu drive.
I think the i5 is powerful enough to manage 32 GB mem and Logic X, but it wouldn't hurt to have a bit more power as long as that doesn’t mean problems concerning the Fusion Drive. I’ve read some of the Fusion Drive issues have been solved, but are they really?
Can anyone give me their point of view on this, it'd be much appreciated.
Nigel are you there 🙂 ?
Thanks
Francis Mann

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 7:11 AM

4 replies

Feb 11, 2016 8:23 AM in response to Francis Mann

Hi Francis 🙂

I really don't have a definitive answer for you.... in regards to an i5 or i7... ands Fusion or not..

However, this is what I did.. and why....

I have avoided the fusion drives because I went the SSD route myself with my 5K.... as the past issues with the fusion drives and the fact they are still mech drives at heart.. made me decide to just save up a little more and wait until i could afford to go SSD

That said, I got my 5K 4.0Ghz i7 32GB 512GB SSD iMac along with Applecare via the Apple refurb store for less money than i would have paid for a 'new' Fusion drive version... and given Apple's certified refurbs have the same warranty as a new one.. and I have always bought refurbs and had no issues with them at all.. it was a no brainer to buy one..

Here is the current US store's list of certified refurb 27" iMacs...

Bear in mind the choice and prices change often...

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac/27

Feb 11, 2016 3:15 PM in response to Francis Mann

I see u opted for the same configuration. It seems a good compromise.

Yes.. I settled for a 512GB internal SSD but then grabbed a TBolt external enclosure a month later

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IFZN842?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_deta ilpage_o04_s00

...during the winter sales for $150 and put a refurbed Crucial MX200 1TB SSD from eBay for $220 inside it.. leaving me space for one more later when they are on sale again...

Under the Blackmagic Disktest there seems very little real world difference in performance with the internal and external SSD...

and...

Much cheaper than the $900 Apple want for an internal 1TB (Plus I now have 1.5TB of SSD..) 🙂

In fact it might have been a little better financially, to go with a 256GB internal SSD... and put the extra money saved towards a second external SSD...but I wanted a little more flexibility and space internally, long term so I went for the larger internal SSD in the end.

Cheers..

Nigel

Fusion drive vs HDD with Logic X and Motu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.