Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do tabs from an excel file convert to Numbers

I received a .csv file which I presume was created in Windows. Apparently there are Tabs.... I am not sure how to access them when I open up via Numbers. It just shows one sheet.

MacBook Pro, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 8:36 AM

3 replies

Feb 12, 2016 9:16 AM in response to merbill

If the sender created the csv file from a multi-sheet workbook in Excel (I'm guessing that is what you mean by "apparently there were Tabs") then something like this message would have appeared:

User uploaded file

If you're looking to access the data from all the sheets, then the sender will have to save each sheet as csv and send each one to you. Or just send you the Excel file, which you can File > Open from Numbers.

If by Tabs you mean a tab-separated CSV file, then you need to try a different approach. In the old days CSV generally stood for comma-separated values. Now it stands for character-separated values. The separating character is often a comma, but it can also be a tab, or another character. If you confirm that your file is indeed tab-separated, then one of the easiest ways to bring those values into Numbers is to open the file in a text editor like TextEdit, command-a to select all, command-c to copy to the system clipboard, then click once in a cell in an existing Numbers table, and type command-v to paste.

SG

do tabs from an excel file convert to Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.