Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I use my MacBook keyboard with apple tv?

You would think that Apple would have made this process straight forward, buy an Apple product, link with other Apple product- but no...

Has anybody found a solution to this ridiculous situation?

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 8:44 PM

Really?! I can't expect Mac to make their own products work with each other? Keyboard functions...we're not talking complicated stuff here. I guess my expectations for Apple products were too high...but I suspect it's a control issue on Apple's part.

(Perhaps)...I did ask several questions about the options for a keyboard when I purchased the apple tv, all they said was "no, you cannot use your MacBook Pro to interface the keyboard with Apple TV". I bought it anyway because it's a good product, despite this one, annoying, flaw that apple has for all intents and purposes, had chosen to ignore, at least on the earlier versions.

I did try airplay and bluetooth to no avail. However, now, whenever my MacBook Pro is within the vicinity my Apple TV remote it turns iTunes on and raises/lowers volume of my MacBook. Not a practical side effect. I have considered a blue tooth key board, but I'm trying to avoid redundancy. I have not yet tried my iPhone, but I suspect it may be too ancient (4s).

My MacBook Pro: 15 inch, late 2011

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

My Apple TV purchased in 2012

Model: A1469

Apple TV software: 7.2 (7512)

Thanks for your help/information.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 8:44 PM in response to Johnb-one

Really?! I can't expect Mac to make their own products work with each other? Keyboard functions...we're not talking complicated stuff here. I guess my expectations for Apple products were too high...but I suspect it's a control issue on Apple's part.

(Perhaps)...I did ask several questions about the options for a keyboard when I purchased the apple tv, all they said was "no, you cannot use your MacBook Pro to interface the keyboard with Apple TV". I bought it anyway because it's a good product, despite this one, annoying, flaw that apple has for all intents and purposes, had chosen to ignore, at least on the earlier versions.

I did try airplay and bluetooth to no avail. However, now, whenever my MacBook Pro is within the vicinity my Apple TV remote it turns iTunes on and raises/lowers volume of my MacBook. Not a practical side effect. I have considered a blue tooth key board, but I'm trying to avoid redundancy. I have not yet tried my iPhone, but I suspect it may be too ancient (4s).

My MacBook Pro: 15 inch, late 2011

Processor: 2.2 GHz Intel Core i7

Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000 384 MB

My Apple TV purchased in 2012

Model: A1469

Apple TV software: 7.2 (7512)

Thanks for your help/information.

Feb 12, 2016 6:30 AM in response to PAGJMc

Although your MacBook Pro's keyboard can't be used on the Apple TV, your MacBook Pro can use AirPlay to send video and audio to the Apple TV. Use AirPlay to display video from your Mac on an HDTV - Apple Support

You can send video and audio from your iPhone to the Apple TV. Use AirPlay to wirelessly stream content from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

You have the 3rd generation Apple TV.

Feb 11, 2016 10:47 AM in response to PAGJMc

I see that you want to use your MacBook keyboard with your apple TV. Apple can't make everything work with everything else. You could try airplay?

maybe consider seeing if a Bluetooth keyboard would work with your Apple TV, you can probably use an iPad/iPhone or other iOS device. You haven't provided a lot of information for us/me to help you. I don't know what model of MacBook Pro you have, what OS is installed, and what version of Apple TV. All I have to go on is what you have given me. Perhaps if you had asked a few questions where you bought the AppleTV beforehand.....

JB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.