Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SPI Keyboard/Trackpad on MacBookPro12,1 Not Working after 10.11.3

I'm having an issue where my keyboard and mouse are not reinitializing after waking up from sleep after the update to 10.11.3. I'm on MBP12,1. I can plug in usb or bluetooth devices which will work, but the internal keyboard and trackpad won't work until after I have shut down the computer and restarted it.

I'm seeing the following error in the logs:

2/11/16 11:32:41.000 AM kernel[0]: Error: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad::IssueMessage Failed to issue message the bus error: 0xe00002eb

2/11/16 11:32:41.000 AM kernel[0]: Error: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad::setPowerState AppleHSSPIDevice : Resume Device in Power On failed with error 0xe00002eb

I have reset pram and smc, re-run the 10.11.3 combo update, and run the disk utility on my hard drive. None of these have resolved the issue.

Has anybody else had a similar problem or found a resolution for MBP12,1 ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 8:48 AM

20 replies

Jul 9, 2016 7:55 AM in response to kcculhwch

Good/bad new: I just came back from the Apple Store. According to the genius, this problem caused quite a discussion behind closed doors at the store today 😉 When she came back, she told me, that another and another repair will not solve the problem since this is clearly a software based issue. It's apparently not uncommon with 2015 Retina MacBook Pro models. Currently, there's no fix, according to the genius. Her only hope was a future software update. I assume this is a firmware thing, since macOS Sierra PB1 has the same issues. Her only advise for me: Call AppleCare, ask them to take the device back for a full refund and either pick a different model or wait for the next generation. So that's what I am up to now. Stay tuned!

Jul 20, 2016 9:47 AM in response to jotaplaza

Well, I bought mine in may 2015. Luckily, after so many failed repair attemts, Apple gave me a new Mac, restarting the warranty cycle. Have you checked in your Mac for repair before? If Apple was unable to fix it, you might be lucky too. Also, since they have finally recognised this problem, an out of warranty exchange might not be impossible. I am actually thinking a general recall program is around the corner.

Aug 7, 2016 2:25 PM in response to cvigo

I have had this same issue 3 times on 2015 Macbrook Pro Retina 13". It always starts the same. Suddenly upon wake the touchpad stops "clicking" and maybe it will work again randomly after several minutes of usage. Sometimes the keyboard and touchpad both stop working altogether. Eventually, after several days or weeks of random behavior they both just stop working and no amount of rebooting helps. Today I began experiencing the issue again, for the 3rd time. I was able to get going again this morning with the SMC reset, but in the past that has eventually failed to work

Each of the first two times they replaced some cable in the laptop, as mentioned by someone else in the thread. It always comes back. 😟 I have not taken it in to apple for this third occurrence yet, but my hopes are pretty low that they can fix this.

SPI Keyboard/Trackpad on MacBookPro12,1 Not Working after 10.11.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.