Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utility

I have a Lexar S25 JumpDrive that I want to partition, making it a bootable disk. I have inserted the drive into iMac running El Capitan, opened Disk Utility. When I click on the drive icon, the Partition function remains greyed out (not selectable). I have added other drives (external hard drives and/or flash drives) and I still cannot get DU to partition. Since this is a new drive, I have used DU to erase the drive, and still cannot partition it.

Any ideas?

iMac, 3.7 GHz i7, 16 GB

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2013), OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 9:05 AM

1 reply

Feb 11, 2016 9:14 AM in response to Blams7

Disk Utility in El Capitan isn't quite as intuitive as the old version. However, what you do is select the out-dented physical disk entry for the Lexar, then click on the Erase icon. This will let you do the primary setup for the flash drive after which it can be partitioned. You should understand the booting from the flash drive using an installed system will be painfully slow. However, if you simply intend to make a bootable installer then it will be fine.

Once you have prepped the flash drive nothing more is needed to make a bootable disk than to install OS X or use it for a bootable installer:

Make your own El Capitan flash drive installer using the El Capitan tool:

You can create a El Capitan flash drive installer via the Terminal. El Capitan has its own built-in installer maker you use via the Terminal:

You will need a freshly partitioned and formatted USB flash drive with at least 8GBs. Leave the name of the flash drive at the system default, "Untitled." Do not change this name. Wait for the process to complete which will take quite some time.

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder. Copy and paste the following command line in its entirety into the Terminal window.

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ El\ Capitan.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath "/Applications/Install OS X El Capitan.app"

Press RETURN, enter admin password (will not echo to the window) then press RETURN again.

You need to have the installer in your Applications folder or change the paths in the above command line.

Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.