Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the screen on the iMac 27" too large ?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 8:30 AM

In the end only you can answer that question. Personally, I use a 27 inch iMac (not Retina) and I'm very happy with the display. It's worth taking the time to get the mouse speed as you find it most convenient, balancing the distance the cursor has to travel against the speed of movement; otherwise I've had no complaints about it. If you are in a very confined space I suppose it might be a little problematic.

If you look at one in an Apple Store, remember they always look smaller in the shop!

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 8:30 AM in response to paulgarri

In the end only you can answer that question. Personally, I use a 27 inch iMac (not Retina) and I'm very happy with the display. It's worth taking the time to get the mouse speed as you find it most convenient, balancing the distance the cursor has to travel against the speed of movement; otherwise I've had no complaints about it. If you are in a very confined space I suppose it might be a little problematic.

If you look at one in an Apple Store, remember they always look smaller in the shop!

Feb 11, 2016 8:42 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger

I realise my post was short on detail. I currently use a 17" MacBook Pro which I bought in 2010. I found myself admiring the latest iMacs in PC World the other day and was (unsurprisingly), very much "wowed", but... Whilst researching the larger of the two beasts, I read that the measurement from desk top to the top of the screen is 27". I wondered if there are any ergonomic issues. OK, I'm probably being a bit mad, but I imagine having to constantly look down to the keyboard and back up to the screen giving me a neck ache. Maybe it's just a case of getting the distance from keyboard to screen long enough such that it's only the eyes that are moving upend down. What's your experience?

Paul G

Feb 11, 2016 8:55 AM in response to paulgarri

Mine is a previous model, though I assume the newer ones are much the same. From the top of the screen to the desk surface is just under 20 inches. I don't find this a problem: I don't quite touch-type but I don't have to look at the keyboard all the time. As I sit at my desk (slightly slumped) my eyes around an inch below the top of the screen. I think you're less likely to get back and neck problems than with a laptop on the desk which will cause you to hunch over it (if I'm going to use the laptop on the desk I use a stand which brings it up about six inches).

Normally I wear varifocal glasses, having no focussing in my eyesight whatever (age and post-cataracts) but these aren't good with computers as you have to tip your head back to read the screen, so I have a pair of glasses specifically set with a focal length of about 20 inches so that I don't have to cope with that. If you're under about 40 you won't have this issue, it tends to arise as you get old enough to lose acommodation (focussing).

In the end, only you can decide whether it's suitable for you, but I would think you would get used to it quite quickly.

Feb 11, 2016 9:02 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger.

Maybe I'll see if I can set up a little experiment at my local PC World whereby I'm sitting at a table with keyboard and screen in front of me. I'm early fifties with no health or sight issues so it'll probably be fine. I imagine it's just the transition from laptop to desktop that's disconcerting for me. I appreciate your help - thanks again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.