Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error 53 with original Touch ID sensor

Hi,

I own an iPhone 6 with iOS version 9.2

Lately it has been experiencing issues with Touch ID, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. and by "working" I don't mean recognizing my fingers, but actually sensing fingers, it didn't even recognize double tap to lower the screen display.

I upgraded to 9.2.1 and Touch ID stopped working all together. Then I downgraded to 9.2 and Touch ID started working properly again.

Several days had past and it stopped working all together. I tried to upgrade but now my iPhone encounters error 53 and I can't use it.

I don't live in a country that has an official Apple Store. My Touch ID is original, I only fixed my iPhone screen once when it broke at my carrier's lab.

This is RIDICULOUS.

Anyone can share an helpful advice?

Thanks in advance.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1, Touch ID

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 8:50 AM

16 replies

Feb 11, 2016 9:04 AM in response to amigo1989

amigo1989 wrote:

Hi,

I own an iPhone 6 with iOS version 9.2

Lately it has been experiencing issues with Touch ID, sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. and by "working" I don't mean recognizing my fingers, but actually sensing fingers, it didn't even recognize double tap to lower the screen display.

I upgraded to 9.2.1 and Touch ID stopped working all together. Then I downgraded to 9.2 and Touch ID started working properly again.

Several days had past and it stopped working all together. I tried to upgrade but now my iPhone encounters error 53 and I can't use it.

I don't live in a country that has an official Apple Store. My Touch ID is original, I only fixed my iPhone screen once when it broke at my carrier's lab.

This is RIDICULOUS.

Anyone can share an helpful advice?

Thanks in advance.

Use the search function at the top right: type error 53.

Then read all of the threads.

Feb 11, 2016 9:14 AM in response to razmee209

Thank you for replying.

I checked and read about error 53. Most claim that they did in fact replaced their Sensor.

Some suggest that if the sensor is original, then it might be a poor connection or disconnection between the sensor and the iPhone itself.

BUT I ask you this:

If it is actually a faulty hardware connection, why when I performed an iPhone restore on the first time it resurrected the sensor for several days?

Sometimes All I had to do was just turn off and on my iPhone for the sensor to work again.

I could have maybe believe that it might be a loose cable inside, but then none of my restores or resets would have effected the sensor's functionality.

Feb 11, 2016 11:00 AM in response to amigo1989

If you replaced the screen yourself at an 3rd party repair shop, this might be a reason for this problem.

Searching the internet, you will find, that error 53 is also about hardware parts that have been replaced by non certified hardware parts. The new firmware is able to check the components used inside the phone and if any non Apple parts are detected, error 53 is the result.

Apple does not sell parts to 3rd party repair shops.

Feb 11, 2016 2:39 PM in response to deggie

Hi deggie,

Thank you for replying.

I finished reading the article, it explains the Touch ID and Error 53 on technical and business perspective, and afterwards addressing conspiracies.

In my country there is no official Apple Store.

If you want to fix anything, you either go to your carrier who sold you the phone, a retailer or any other 3rd party lab.

Safest place in my opinion was go to my carrier. But still, it was concerning the screen's shattered glass and it was on July.

Something doesn't add up. Here's why in short and chronological order:

1. iOS 9.2 - iPhone touch sensor suddenly stopped working

2. Updated OTA to 9.2.1 - iPhone boots Successfully (But the iPhone's sensor still doesn't work)

3. Restores iPhone (With version 9.2.1) - Error 53

4. Downgrade to 9.2 - Works + Sensor works

5. Couple of days past - iPhone's touch sensor stops working again

6. update to 9.2.1 - Gets Error 53

What's the weird part?

1. on phase 2, I successfully updated to 9.2.1 even though the sensor still didn't work. (If something was indeed not original, then it would have failed)

2. After restoring to 9.2 from 9.2.1, The sensor resumed working perfectly (For a week).

Keep in mind that during all these steps my iPhone was resting peacefully on the table, connected to my computer.

*You can ask yourself why I updated again to 9.2.1 on stage 6, that's because I believed that restoring would help. and 9.2 is currently unavailable.

Feb 12, 2016 3:00 AM in response to amigo1989

You had a screen change on an iPhone 6. This means your home button was lifted out of it's delicate little nest, and transferred to a new screen.

That is far more likely to explain your problem then the restore/it works/now it doesn't work. My guess (total guess) is that the fingerprint sensor has some poor attachment---like a string of lights that sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I would guess that it was coincidence that you had a brief period of resurrection after a software change.

To clear error 53 you need to get that sensor talking to the board! You may have some hope if it was recently working.

Your options are to wait and see---perhaps Apple will reform error 53 based on class action pressure.
Or, you can take the phone to a reputable professional that can look at the button, its connection to the long flex, and the long flex itself and its connection to the board to make sure all is properly in place.

If you can get that sensor working, you can clear error 53.

Error 53 with original Touch ID sensor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.