Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Apple TVs with HomeKit

I was interested in setting up HomeKit for home automation as more products continue to be released. I currently have 2 Gen3 Apple TVs. My question is, does having two apple tvs extend the bluetooth range for certain devices? My apple tvs are on opposite sides of the house and I have read people complain about range issues. By having the two would it be able to push the bluetooth off of either one?

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 9:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2017 5:11 PM

Protodd... I wish this was the case... I have two apple TV (4gen)... and two Schlage locks... its seems the locks latch on to one of the ATV's.... one lock works consistently... one does not.... I think the one that does not, is trying to attach to the ATV far away... rather than the one closer to it. Bottom line.... Bluetooth stuff is painful compared to wifi.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2017 5:11 PM in response to Protodd

Protodd... I wish this was the case... I have two apple TV (4gen)... and two Schlage locks... its seems the locks latch on to one of the ATV's.... one lock works consistently... one does not.... I think the one that does not, is trying to attach to the ATV far away... rather than the one closer to it. Bottom line.... Bluetooth stuff is painful compared to wifi.

Aug 24, 2017 5:17 AM in response to pwalth21

Hi,

From someone who's had issues having my Apple TV (located in the family room, far from my front door) access and control my August smart lock, I can confirm to you that adding a second Apple TV closer to the lock fixed the problem.

I have an Apple TV in our family room and from day one, it had issues connecting to my smart lock on the house's front door. When I installed a second August smart lock (door to the garage, much closer to the family room) last week, I noticed that there were zero connection issues between that new lock and the Apple TV. I bit the bullet and bought another Apple TV, installed it in the office (very close to the front door lock) and 100% access now. No more problems.

Problem is that the August smart lock (and some other IOT devices, like Elgato) only uses Bluetooth (low energy) for communication and the range of the BTLE signal is very limited compared to Wi-Fi. Even adding the August Connect ''hub'' didn't solve the problem like I had hoped it would, as the Connect will not communicate with the Apple TV over Wi-Fi, even if they are on the same network. BTLE exclusively. :-(

As far as setup is concerned, adding the second Apple TV took all of 10 minutes, with 5 of those being a firmware upgrade. I set it up using an IOS device, so it got the Wi-Fi settings from the IOS device, as well as the iCloud login and everything else. And it automatically started working as a Homekit hub.

I hope this helps.

Sep 12, 2017 3:30 AM in response to pwalth21

I was looking at this as I am considering BT smart bulbs. There are various reports where this is ok and where it isn't. I'm going to guess that it depends which hub the device connects to first. Of course it might be possible to set this up by activating BT on the ATV's in the right order but of course then a different set of devices might have problems??!!

Feb 11, 2016 9:53 AM in response to pwalth21

Some HomeKit devices are wifi while others are Bluetooth control. Only those that are Bluetooth control need to be near the ATV hub then it comes down to the limitation of Bluetooth as to how far from the devices the ATV will need to reside. Typically it's about 32feet. I have multiple ATVs in my residence for homekit control - door locks are Bluetooth so they need to be within 32 feet of the ATV. On the other hand, I have lights, garage, cameras etc that are wifi controlled so the location in relation to the ATV is inconsequential...

This article may provide some help in understanding the setup...

http://www.howtogeek.com/234180/how-to-enable-remote-access-to-your-homekit-smar t-home-via-apple-tv/

Feb 12, 2016 5:14 AM in response to Protodd

Thanks for the reply. I had done my research and understand that different devices use wifi vs bluetooth and that the Apple TV is to control Bluetooth devices from away from home. I think in your post you are saying that the devices can be in range of either Apple TV correct? just wanted to confirm.. Thanks again.

Two Apple TVs with HomeKit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.