Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport - unable to resolve internal error on disk

We use our Airport drive as an external drive and have no back up (I know, I know) so preservation of date is the absolute most important thing at this point.

We do not have a traditional internet setup as we live and travel full time in our RV - connection to the internet is through a MiFi JetPack. My husband has the airport configured so I log off the jetpack and choose the airport drive as the wifi connection, and then it appears in finder as a drive.

I am unable to connect to the airport currently.
Flashing amber light on airport.
Disk utility shows a red circle with 2 in it.
When I click for more information it shows "internal disk needs repair"
If I ignore that, it doesn't help.
It also shows that it has no internet connection.

I'm unsure what to do from this point to connect to it.
Is the drive failing?
Data preservation is KEY!!

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:29 AM

9 replies

Feb 11, 2016 11:48 AM in response to Euroducky84

You are in strife.

That is the very error you do not want to see when you are using the TC for data.

Internal disk needs repair is a serious error. The fact that the TC is working at all is a wonder.

You need to buy a USB to SATA cradle (adapter box) for your hard disk and pull it out of the TC. There is no hope to fix it inside the TC.

You did not tell us which model TC you have?? Different strokes for different folks.. as this is a problem chiefly on Gen4.

You need to purchase a recovery software, data rescue or disk warrior and you need to attempt to rebuild your data from the disk. You probably need to buy another USB disk at least as large as the TC disk to hold the data that comes from it.

If the disk has simply lost format you can get a good recovery.

If the TC power supply is having issues it might be failing to spin the drive.. again you might win just moving it.

You also might find the issue is much more serious and the disk has to go to a data recovery centre and you can kiss $1000 goodbye.

Take it in stages.

1. What TC model is it?? If it is the newest Gen5 (tall AC model) I have not seen the error on that one.. so not sure of what the damage is likely to be. But this is typical of Gen4 as mentioned.

2. Did you give it overnight off power to cool down completely? Even a whole day. See if the disk is accessible immediately at start up.. if so immediately start copying the files to another disk.. USB plugged into a computer.. you don't have long. It is crucial to get the files off when you have the chance.

3. Are you using inverter power supplies? I would wait until you park and can run it when still in a park where you get clean mains power. Inverters can be dirty and maybe what caused the problem.

We can take the next bit depending on the answers to the above.

Feb 11, 2016 12:30 PM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for the reply. I guessed it was dire at this point.

Model is A1470 (tall) purchased November 2014

I haven't done anything overnight as I didnt know it was a problem until today. I'll leave it unplugged tonight and try again tomorrow. In the mean time I guess we will be hitting the store to have a 3TB external ready for when I do try it so I can start copying files.

We're in a park and connected to clean power right now (with a surge protector). We have had some power from the generator previously which may have been the culprit. My husband says he forgot to unplug it last time we did a long move and we had some issues with the generator not giving enough power.

I'd love any advice you can give..
I've done data recovery on windows laptop hard drives but it literally pulled the files, not organized in folders and was a ridiculous mess. I hope data recovery has come a long way since then. I know I have 3 iphoto libraries on this drive aside from my folders of raw photos from our travels. I'm a photographer so pictures are my thing.

Feb 11, 2016 12:39 PM in response to Euroducky84

If I can see it in Airport Utility but not in Finder... could a recovery program like Disk Warrior see it and repair it or recover it from there? I'm guessing no, but it puzzles me as to why it can be seen in Airport Utility even just wirelessly (I've tried connected directly to my desktop mac and wirelessly to my macbook) but not in Finder.

Feb 11, 2016 3:52 PM in response to Euroducky84

If I can see it in Airport Utility but not in Finder... could a recovery program like Disk Warrior see it and repair it or recover it from there? I'm guessing no, but it puzzles me as to why it can be seen in Airport Utility even just wirelessly (I've tried connected directly to my desktop mac and wirelessly to my macbook) but not in Finder.

I cannot edit the reply either.. I cannot do anything at the moment other than work via activity.. what a great site this is..

Disk utilities of any sort must work directly on local disks.. A Time Capsule is not a local disk .. it is a network drive.

No useful help is available via anything in mac or airport utility.

You have no choice but to pull out the disk.

https://www.ifixit.com/Device/AirPort_Time_Capsule_A1470

Being extremely careful removing the disk because the cable in particular can tear and is fragile.

You then need a USB disk holder.. so you can plug the disk into the computer to copy the files.

Do not buy a data recovery until you are sure you need it.

And NO data recovery is always messy.. you were supposed to have learned from your PC laptop experience to always have backups.. you were naughty and did not backup.. so here you are in a MESS.. never get into this place again because you always from now on will do backups.. constant regular and if valuable to multiple disks.

If you still cannot access the disk.. download a trial version of data rescue and give it a try.. you will not be able to recover files but it will show success rate of discovery.

If it fails and the photos are valuable.. stop and take the disk to recovery centre.. if you mess around with the disk you are just making it harder.. up to this point you are merely reading the drive.. nothing will make it worse.. but the actual attempt to recover should only be when the recovery software shows success is possible.. then go ahead and pay the license and give it a go.

This is a first report for me on a Gen5 of this behaviour.. and yes, I think bad power is a very possible cause..

Feb 17, 2016 7:13 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thought I'd give an update...

Purchased a new external drive and formatted to have it ready to go.

Plugged in Airport Time Capsule after it had been off for several days -- nothing had changed. Still unaccessible.

Went ahead and disassembled the Time Capsule and pulled out the drive.

Used this: http://www.amazon.com/Vantec-CB-ISATAU2-Supports-2-5-Inch-5-25-Inch/dp/B000J01I1 G/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455255747…

Connected and powered on, downloaded Data Rescue and ran in Demo mode.
All files were visible.

Went ahead and paid for my preferred data recovery software Disk Warrior.

It found that the directory needed to be rebuilt as the drive wouldn't mount.
Results indicated 1 error on the hard drive and replaced it with a fixed directory.
Was then able to view the data on the drive through finder - selected and copied over to new hard drive.
All files in place - exactly as I had them organized on the drive.

And no, I won't make the mistake again. Will have double copies of all data from here forward. 5 more drives on their way to me as I type.

Feb 17, 2016 8:12 AM in response to Mike's Pad

Lucky, Indeed!! So so lucky.

Recovery Software: $128
New 3TB hard drive with 2 year data recovery protection plan: $134

Total: $262
Less than 30 minutes total from plugging in time capsule to starting data transfer.
It'll take 20 or so hours to transfer everything.

And the pro place would have charged a minimum of $700 since it was an unmountable disk 😮

Airport - unable to resolve internal error on disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.