Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMac isn't capable of sharing media files with multiple users on same computer.

We just bought a new IMac that we were very excited about. we have Apple phones and iPads so replacing the ten year old PC with a new Mac made since.

Now the trouble begins. For more than ten years windows computers have had multiple user logins on the same machine and have been able to have a single shared folder for music, pictures, And video that my iTunes program and others could acsess and share from multiple user logins. This kept everything in one spot for new family photos added by me or my wife and our 30 gigs of music that was taken from our CDs was available to bolth of us. Now trying to set this up on IMac should be easy but is impossible. after transferring all of the music to my login, she cannot acsess any files on my login. I am not even able to share or provide her acsess. I can move the iTunes folder to my shared folder. She can get acsess now but iTunes claims the library file is locked. I have been working with Apple care on the phone to resold this but they believe that it isn't going to be possible without creating two copies of the 30 gigs of music for each of us. that would take up more hard drive when it doesn't have too. Sharing isnt any help. These files were before iTunes. I am not paying 30 dollars a month to store it in icloudcor use a slow google drive connection to the Internet when it's all right here. Apparently Applow programmers don't believe in sharing media files between two users on the same device while a PC does this very well. My choices here so far are have duplicates of all photos, music, and videos loaded to the drive for me and my wife, load all media to an external hard drive that for some reason all of the Apple programs will share, or return the mac for another PC that will be able to do multiple logins with shared music and photos. Apple if your are reading this your are 10 years behind on this. Not everyone was born in the last 5 years and has bought all their music from iTunes to be able to use Home sharing. Home sharing can't help this. your apps need to be able to be told to use shared media folders without importing duplicate copies to user drives. I am very disappointed. Does anyone else have any ideas for this? I have photos, not iPhoto. I have one more week to be able to return it. I am not interested in making a fake account that's always logged on to share, or keeping myself logged in all the time. This should have been easy I was supposed to be happy and playing with new software.

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, Late 2015), iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:57 AM

The iPhoto, Photos and iTunes libraries must be on an external HD that is formatted as shown below to be useable by multiple users on the same Mac:

User uploaded file

So get an external HD correctly formatted and move your iPhoto/Photos library to it as well as your iTunes library. That way all users on your iMac can access and use both libraries.

An alternative to the external HD method is to partition your internal HD into two partitions, one for the libraries. It must formatted as shown above and be large enough to hold the libraries and allow for expansion of the libraries.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 10:57 AM in response to Rwoodruff1973

The iPhoto, Photos and iTunes libraries must be on an external HD that is formatted as shown below to be useable by multiple users on the same Mac:

User uploaded file

So get an external HD correctly formatted and move your iPhoto/Photos library to it as well as your iTunes library. That way all users on your iMac can access and use both libraries.

An alternative to the external HD method is to partition your internal HD into two partitions, one for the libraries. It must formatted as shown above and be large enough to hold the libraries and allow for expansion of the libraries.

User uploaded file

Feb 11, 2016 11:32 AM in response to Rwoodruff1973

How much free space do you currently have on your hard drive? Whatever size you decide on be sure you keep the free space on the boot partition at around 25 GB or more for optimal system and application use.

I don't do much movie editing at all but hare read that it requires a lot of space for movie files. Be sure you have sufficient space on whatever partition you keep your movie files on for temp and swap files.

IMac isn't capable of sharing media files with multiple users on same computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.