Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I NEED HELP WITH COORDINATING MY APPLE ID TO MY ICLOUD ID

I got a new iPhone5, and somehow the iCloud user name was set to an old email account of mine which is different from my current Apple ID. ICloud keeps asking me to sign in but I do not know the password. I have tried to reset the password with the old email address but the reset site does not know the user name that I am putting in. I am in a catch 22. When I go to iCloud in settings it is all grayed out and the iCloud drive show it is upgrading but it never completes the upgrade. I have called apple support but to no avail; I have gone to the Apple store and they say I need to contact apple support, Apple Care. I have the latest ios. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.2.1, 16gb

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:24 AM

9 replies

Feb 12, 2016 8:38 AM in response to jkessler1952

Welcome to the Apple community.

If you are unable to remember your password, security questions, don’t have access to your rescue address or are unable to reset your password for whatever reason, your only option is to contact Apple ID Support, upon speaking to an operator you should explain that your problem is related to your Apple ID, this way you will not be charged for assistance, even if you don’t have an AppleCare plan.

You will need to show patience with the procedure and be prepared to demonstrate without question that the account belongs to you. Don’t expect access to be restored immediately and if you aren’t the owner of the Apple ID registered to the device the account won’t be reset.

Feb 12, 2016 11:33 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Thank you Mr Churchill, I will give this a try, again. However, do you have the same advise if I have a different user name and password for my icloud account than I do for my apple Id? It's the icloud that seems to be causing the problem not my apple id password. Also that the icloud is grayed over on my phone what is that all about? have any thoughts on that? Thanks for any suggestions.

Feb 12, 2016 11:53 AM in response to Winston Churchill

the icloud id that the phone recognizes is jkessler100 which is probably the user name that I used once long a go and some how this new phone picked up the old user name for icloud and not the apple id. My apple id is my latest email address which is not related to jkessler100 at all. So you see there are two different ids. Thus the problem.

Feb 12, 2016 12:10 PM in response to jkessler1952

The operator will take you through some steps you may have already tried, however they need to be sure they have exhausted all usual approaches before trying to reset your account, so you should try to be helpful and show patience with the procedure.

The operator will need to verify they are speaking to the account holder and may ask you some questions that only the account holder could know, and you will need to answer them if the process is to proceed. You may need to provide proof of purchase for the device.

Once the operator has verified your identity they will send a message through to your device which contains an alpha numeric code, which you will need to read back to them.

Once this has been completed they will send an email to your iCloud email address after a period of 24 hours, so you should check that mail is enabled in your devices iCloud settings.

Upon receipt of the email, use the reset link provided to reset your password, after which you should be able to make the adjustments to iCloud that you wish to do.

I NEED HELP WITH COORDINATING MY APPLE ID TO MY ICLOUD ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.