Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video is lagging/choppy on Final Cut Pro playback but audio is perfect

Hello,

So I've been using FCP for 2 weeks or so and I have been editing videos without a problem but today something super weird happened. After editing everything to how I like, I played the video back and it was suuuuuper laggy/choppy but the audio was perfect (in quality and timing). When I pause the video for a few seconds though the video will sync back but then go back to being laggy after another few seconds. I tried exporting it in hopes that maybe once it's exported it'll work but, no luck. The whole video wouldn't even export. The video is about 4 minutes long and only 1:30 would export. I'm really confused and frustrated and hope someone can help!

Also, I imported the original footage to an external hard drive so my computer would have more space. Not sure if that makes a difference but I figured I should add that just incase.

Thank you so much!

Cristina

MacBook Pro OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.3

Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory: 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Final Cut Pro: 10.2.2

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:33 AM

8 replies

Feb 11, 2016 1:38 PM in response to john younger

What John said. More details would enable others to help.

If you click the Apple logo > About This Mac, how is the MBP model described?

What format are the clips that you're using in your project? Do you know what camera shot them?

Please post a screen shot of your project timeline. That may provide a clue as to why the only part of the video is exporting

Thanks.

Russ

Feb 12, 2016 6:01 AM in response to WhosCristinaa

You probably have either a corrupt clip or a corrupt render file somewhere in your project. Start by deleting render files. Select your project, and go File->Delete Project Generated Files... and chose to delete All render files. See if it exports fully.

Your connection to the external drive is most likely USB2, since your mac does not have USB3 ports. The fastest connection you have available is FW800, but even that is slow by today's standards. I believe that this will limit what you can achieve. But do note while this will affect playback, it should not affect what you export - hence my suggestion above.

Video is lagging/choppy on Final Cut Pro playback but audio is perfect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.