Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

thunderbolt display AND old cinema display connected to KVM switch, connected to a macbook pro and a mac pro

i can't be the only one in the history of the world wanting to do this, yet i've spent HOURS searching the web for the answer and have come up completely empty handed.

here's what i have:

• computer #1: a macbook pro (thunderbolt monitor connection)
  • computer #2: an old mac pro (DVI monitor connection) -- but will most likely update this to the new mac pro "garbage can design" in the next few months, so this will also have to connect to a thunderbolt monitor connection as well.
  • monitor #1: an old 30" apple cinema display (DVI connection)
  • monitor #2: a new 27" thunderbolt display

now i want to connect both monitors (the DVI cinema display, and the thunderbolt display) - along with USB and audio, via a KVM switch to connect to both computers (the thunderbolt port of the MPB, and if at all possible the DVI port on the mac pro before upgrading it, but DEFINITELY connect to a thunderbolt connection when i upgrade the mac pro this year.)

so how do i do this? i have found EXACTLY ZERO KVM switches that work with thunderbolt, so i am sure i'll have to find an adapter, but all my searches even for the "thunderbolt to DVI adapter" have turned up the OPPOSITE of what i need, since i will have the male thunderbolt plug that i will need to convert to a male DVI plug.

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 11:01 AM

1 reply

thunderbolt display AND old cinema display connected to KVM switch, connected to a macbook pro and a mac pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.