Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get Hotmail to work in Mail app

I have three Hotmail accounts which I've been using with the Mail app for a few years with no problems.

Recently two of the accounts, B and C, stopped updating properly. If I went into the app and tried to refresh these accounts manually, they would just stay at "checking mail" for ages. They would eventually randomly update maybe once every other day. Then when they did update, I couldn't actually read any of the mail they'd downloaded as tapping into an email just sits at 'loading'.

So I figured deleting the accounts and re-adding them would be the way to go.

There's two options for setting up a Hotmail address, 'Outlook' or 'Exchange'. My one working Hotmail address, A, is set up through 'Outlook', and B and C were originally set up that way too, so I tried that option. It accepts my username and password for B and C, and they appear when I go into the Mail app, but when I try to view either of them it displays the message "Cannot get mail - the connection to the server failed".

So I deleted B and C again and tried setting them up through 'Exchange' in case something had changed on my accounts behind the scenes. That doesn't get past the stage where I type in my username and password - they just sit at 'verifying' and stay like that even if I close and reopen Settings, the only way I can get away from it is to turn my phone off and back on.

I deleted account A and added it again using 'Outlook' - that takes seconds and works just fine!

I've not done anything to accounts B and C such as changed the passwords. I've been Googling and found suggestions about it being something to do with two-step verification but I don't have that turned on as far as I'm aware. I just can't find any useful suggestions that make any sense to me!

I don't know if this is relevant but A is a .com account while B and C are .co.uk accounts, however I originally set up all three exactly the same way on my iPhone.

Additonally, I have all three set up in Mail on my Macbook and they're still all working just fine. No issues logging in via webmail either.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can try? I'm going to be going away soon and not being able to access all my accounts through the app is going to be a pain in the bum!

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 11:02 AM

There are no replies.

Can't get Hotmail to work in Mail app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.