Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have to reset the NVRAM on my early 2011 Macbook pro after I close the lid or start the computer.

For over a year, I have been having trouble getting my 15 in. Macbook Pro (spring 2011) to boot. This happens now after I close the lid. Occasionally, when I'm using Safari, the computer becomes unstable and shuts down after the screen goes on and off several times. It won't re-start from my backup or in safe mode either. The only way I've been getting it to boot is by using the command/option/P/R key combination to re-set the NVRAM as documented in Apple's support material. What usually happens when I try to re-boot is that the startup bar stalls. It begins alright but stalls right in the middle.

I've run the first MAC first Aid drive utility but it never finds any errors. On several occasions, the computer becomes hot and the fan goes on. I've read that there is a well known problem with my particular video card, (See below) but this could be internet misinformation. In the Apple NVRAM section, I read something about the possibility of the logic board battery needing replacement. If anyone thinks this may be the cause, is replacing the battery something I could perform? I've had extensive experience working on my own desktop computers but very little experience working on laptops.

I bought this computer loaded with every option that was available in the spring of 2011. It has a video card, ( AMD Radieon 6750M 1024 mb) 8 Gigs of system RAM, an Intel core I7 2.2 Ghz and the optional 7200 RPM hard drive. I'm running the latest version of El Capitan. I spent over $3,000 on this beautiful computer and don't want to trash it. For one thing, I can't afford another loaded 15 inch MacBook Pro. I would deeply appreciate any advice.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Hard Drive Problem.

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:53 AM

1 reply

Mar 4, 2016 10:52 AM in response to gagelle

My problem was solved. I did some we research and found that there was a class action suit that was settled by Apple agreeing to repair defective GPU modules on certain models of the Mac Book Pro. I looked up my computer's serial number and it was one of the affected computers: Spring 2011 MacBook Pro ordered with the optional GPU. I brought my computer to my local Mac dealer. The representative was polite and helpful. He used proprietary software to test my whole computer. Strangely enough, the hard drive appeared to be failing but my GPU seemed to be operating correctly. I agreed to pay for Apple to replace my hard drive. The Apple Rep said that once they opened the computer, they could conduct more extensive tests on my GPU. Sue enough, my GPU also needed to be replaced. To my pleasant surprise, Apple performed all the repairs for free and thoroughly cleaned up the inside of the computer. It works like a new computer now! I can't thank Apple enough. I'm still an Apple customer for life. What other computer company performs such fantastic service? Apple really stands behind their products.

I have to reset the NVRAM on my early 2011 Macbook pro after I close the lid or start the computer.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.