Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My apple Airport Express will not connect to my modem ARRIS Surfboard SB6141

My Apple Airport Express will not connect to my modem ARRIS Surfboard SB6141

Airport Express-OTHER

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 12:58 PM

9 replies

Feb 11, 2016 1:31 PM in response to dmattrey

This model of AirPort Express?

User uploaded file

What device are you using to try to configure the AirPort Express? What operating system is it running?

Verified that you have a good Ethernet cable?

Is the modem new, and you are trying to get the Express to connect......or.......is the AirPort Express new, and you are trying to get things working?

What have you tried so far in the way of troubleshooting steps?

Feb 11, 2016 1:49 PM in response to dmattrey

Power off the modem by pulling the power cable from the back of the device

Disconnect the co-ax connector and Ethernet cable (I assume you know the Ethernet cable is working)

Leave the modem powered off for at least 30 minutes.....60 would be better if you can

(Comcast support should have already advised you about this)

During the time that the modem is powered off, power on the AirPort Express for a minute or two, if it is not already on

Hold in the reset button on the back of the AirPort Express for 5 to 6 seconds, then release

Allow a full minute for the AirPort Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Then power off the AirPort Express

User uploaded file

After the modem has been powered off for at least 30 minutes.......

Connect the co-ax cable to the modem

Connect the Ethernet cable from the modem to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Express

Power up the modem and let it run by itself for at least 10 minutes

Then, power up the AirPort Express and let it run a few minutes

On your Mac, click on the WiFi icon at the top of the screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click on AirPort Express just below that listing

User uploaded file

When you click on AirPort Express, that will get the setup "wizard" up and running. It will take a few seconds to analyze things and then display a screen that looks like this:

User uploaded file

Click Next and follow the prompts

Report on your results

Feb 11, 2016 1:59 PM in response to dmattrey

In addition to Bob's comments, please be aware that there is a known incompatibility between the Arris/Motorola SB61NN series modems and the AirPort base stations. Neither, alone, are at fault, but they do not "play" nice together. The primary issue that gets the most posts here is loss of connectivity when these two are paired together.

My apple Airport Express will not connect to my modem ARRIS Surfboard SB6141

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.