Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I do "video only" edits in iMovie?

I am editing video of a speaker, and I would like to insert cutaways of the audience and other images without breaking the sound track. Is this possible in iMovie, and if so, how do I do it?

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 6:53 PM

Yes this is easy. Simply drag the cutaway photo or video above the main video timeline where you want it. Cutaway is the default result and it doesn't affect the audio:

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Full details at: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/movf525350f0

Geoff.

3 replies

Feb 11, 2016 6:59 PM in response to GeeD

I tried your suggestion, but it just inserted the clip, audio and all.

I think I must have an outdated version of iMovie. I am working with iMovie08, version 7.1.4. This is what was offered me when I asked to upgrade an older version. I am running an iMac with OS X El Capitan v 10.11.3. I notice there are other iMovie versions. Should I get one of them? Which one?

Feb 12, 2016 2:20 AM in response to loganfromspringfield

Without other info I was assuming you were using the current version, 10.1.1. Version 7 is very old - I have never used versions earlier than 9, which did have cutaway capability.

"This is what was offered me when I asked to upgrade an older version."

So were you using iMovie 6 HD before 7? There are quite a number of enthusiasts who love this version which can be made to work with El Capitan. I think 7 was rather sparse in capability since it was a complete re-write. Versions 8 and 9 do not work properly with El Capitan so you would have to buy the latest version from the App Store. It should be able to update projects and events from version 7 - See: Update projects and events from previous versions of iMovie in iMovie (2014) - Apple Support. It is very different again from earlier versions so there will be somewhat of a learning curve.

Geoff.

can I do "video only" edits in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.