Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

9.4.3 crashes upon opening

Any time I open iPhoto 9.4.3 and try to click on anything, it crashes. Any idea why? (iMac 10.8.5) Thanks

iMac (24-inch Early 2008), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Intel Core 2 Duo

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 1:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 1:32 PM

Nevermind...... Thanks anyway. I found the answer on an old post. Sorry

2 replies

Feb 11, 2016 1:34 PM in response to SharonZig

Disable your network, and try again to launch iPhoto, while you are offline.

If it does not crash this way, iPhoto is crashing, because the Places are no longer working.

iPhoto on Mt. Lion is recently crashing frequently, if you have been using the Places feature in iPhoto. iPhoto is crashing when executing Javascript code, that might be used to access the server for the Places data and maps. Make a test:

Disable your network and take the mac offline. If iPhoto is then working again, you are having the problem that iPhoto is crashing, because it can no longer access Google's servers for maps and location data. Apple did not renew the contract with Google.

See this User Tip:

iPhoto 9.4 crashing when viewing Places

There are several ways to deal with this:

• Upgrading to iPhoto 9.6.1, if possible. iPhoto 9.5.1 and newer versions are using different map servers.
  • Working offline. If turning off the network is stopping the crashes, it is a onfirmation that the crashes are caused by the places feature.
  • Removing the html files from the iPhoto application, that are running the java code, that tries to access Google's servers as suggested by Huxly647':

See Huxly647's solution:

Huxly647Nov 20, 2015 12:05 AM
Re: iPhoto crashes after opening repeatedlyin response to carvermonHelpful

I found a fix that works for me..

1. goto /Applications/iPhoto.app/Contents/Resources

2. delete the files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html

Iphoto no longer crashes, places doesn't work but it doesn't bother me too much.

Let me know if it works for you guys...

Removing the two files ' googlemap.html ' and googlesearch.html from iPhoto's application bundle prevents the javascript inside from being executed and causing the crash. Going offline does obviously do the same. So it is pretty clear, that something happened on Google's end.

To access the files inside the iPhoto application select it in the Finder and ctrl-click it. Then use the command "Show Package Contents" from the menu. Open the subfolder Contents, then Resources.

Don't try this fix without making a copy of the iPhoto application before you try to remove the two files from the application bundle.

If you want to make the Places feature work again, have a look at cotton-x's post:

User cotton-x posted a clever fix to patch the iPhoto application, so that it is using a private key to access Google's servers. The same fix is working well for Aperture 3.4.5 and probably the earlier versions of Aperture as well. See this link if you want to try it.

Re: iPhoto 11 - Problems With Photo Locations

I tested this in Aperture 3.4.5 and could display the terrain maps again, that have far more detail than the new maps in the current version 3.6 of Aperture.

User uploaded file

9.4.3 crashes upon opening

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.