Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Off and On Constantly

When at home, while using my MacBook Pro, I have to turn my wifi off then on every few minutes. This happens while using wifi. All of the sudden my wifi freezes and, despite having a full set of bars in my wifi icon, I have to turn it off then on to get it working again.

I use my same wifi with an old iMac, several MacBook Airs, iPads, and iPhones. I only have this problem on my MacBook Pro (listed in my products below).

I use up to date Apple Airport Extremes and on a Brighthouse cable internet network.

Thank you.

OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:18 PM

2 replies

Feb 11, 2016 2:56 PM in response to Brendan Frank

When you say WiFi freezes I assume you mean a download stops or a webpage load-in stalls and nothing will bring it back but toggling WiFi on and off. I’m curious if this is actually WiFi or the internet. Have you tried file sharing between this computer and another and seeing if that also freezes? If it does you’ll know your problem is indeed WiFi. If it doesn’t it is internet. I had something similar a couple years ago and began using Google’s DNS server instead of my ISP’s.

Feb 11, 2016 3:31 PM in response to dwb

Thank you for your response. Problem is usually webpage load-in stalls. I'll try file sharing and see what happens. I feel like it has to be something specific to my MacBook Pro (which is relatively new and up to date). It doesn't happen with any of my other computers/devices on the same WiFi and internet. Not sure what a Google DNS is but I'll check it out.

Wifi Off and On Constantly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.