Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I safely reformat my boot hard drive?

OK. My mid-2011 Mac Mini died. Graphics chip on motherboard went belly up. I have a second Mac Mini that was given to me by a friend who no longer uses it. Now I want to load my applications on the new Mini. First I'm trying to load Adobe CS6 but I get the following error:

User uploaded file

Searching the Adobe forums it appears there's no way around this except to reformat my hard drive. I'm OK with that since the guy who gave me this Mini basically cleared out all his stuff so it's basically empty except for all the system files. My question is: how to I reformat this disk to a non-case sensitive volume that I can boot off.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Kevin H.

Mac mini (Mid 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4), Photoshop CS6

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:28 PM

When booted from the disk or recovery partition you’ll be using to install the OS, open the Disk Utility, select the volume, click on the Erase tab, and specify the desired format.

(139433)

8 replies

Feb 12, 2016 12:00 PM in response to lllaass

Illaass,

Following the instructions you pointed me to on "What to do before selling or giving away your Mac," I'm attempting to boot up in restore mode. To do this I shut down the Mac first, then press the power button, then Cmd-R right after you hear the start up chime. Well, I'm not getting the start up chime and even though I try pressing Cmd-R, it doesn't boot up in Restore Mode; it just boots up in normal mode. I've checked that the speakers are working by playing a video, but still can't boot up with Cmd-R.

Any help is appreciated.

Kevin H.

how do I safely reformat my boot hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.