Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problem with iphone photos time-zone

Hi all,

I cannot figure out why the photos time and dates in camera roll are set to my current location(New Zealand) instead of where the photos was taken....

Is driving me crazy because for example, the photo was taken in japan at 5th Jan @ 8:30pm and now in camera roll is displaying as 6th Jan @ 12:30am!

I talked to apple and we tried resetting all settings, turn off and on automatic time zone and hard rebooting but nothing works. They suggested me to reinstall everything again but I would like to find out if anyone else having the same problem before trying the reinstall method.

Thank you

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 1:04 AM

The problem is the limited user interface in Photos on the iPhone. Photos does not display the name of the timezone, when it displays a date and time. With the clock set to New Zealand, the iPhone converts the the dates and times to your current local time, valid in your timezone, because there is no way to display the name of the timezone. The conversion is correct - when it was 5th Jan @ 8:30pm in Tokyo, it was 6th Jan @ 12:30am in New Zealand.

This is better than what Photos on the Mac is doing. It is simply appending the name of the local timezone without converting the time to the local timezone and displaying a photo taken in Mexico at 14:49 Eastern standard time incorrectly as 14:49 GMT+1 with my date and time set to Germany. We can only see this problem of incorrect timezone handling on the mac, if we enable the display of timezone names in the system preferences.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 1:04 AM in response to jcsyan

The problem is the limited user interface in Photos on the iPhone. Photos does not display the name of the timezone, when it displays a date and time. With the clock set to New Zealand, the iPhone converts the the dates and times to your current local time, valid in your timezone, because there is no way to display the name of the timezone. The conversion is correct - when it was 5th Jan @ 8:30pm in Tokyo, it was 6th Jan @ 12:30am in New Zealand.

This is better than what Photos on the Mac is doing. It is simply appending the name of the local timezone without converting the time to the local timezone and displaying a photo taken in Mexico at 14:49 Eastern standard time incorrectly as 14:49 GMT+1 with my date and time set to Germany. We can only see this problem of incorrect timezone handling on the mac, if we enable the display of timezone names in the system preferences.

User uploaded file

problem with iphone photos time-zone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.