Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

camera roll timezone

Hi all,

I cannot figure out why the photos time and dates in camera roll are set to my current location(New Zealand) instead of where the photos was taken....

Is driving me crazy because for example, the photo was taken in japan at 5th Jan @ 8:30pm and now in camera roll is displaying as 6th Jan @ 12:30am!

I talked to apple and we tried resetting all settings, turn off and on automatic time zone and hard rebooting but nothing works. They suggested me to reinstall everything again but I would like to find out if anyone else having the same problem before trying the reinstall method.

Thank you

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 2:56 PM

16 replies

Feb 11, 2016 4:43 PM in response to LACAllen

Hi LACAllen,

The date/time are correct outside iphone. I tired air drop the same photo to another iphone 6s plus and the time/date actually are correct.

Somehow with in my iphone, it is displaying the current location time/date.

When I export the photos into my PC, under the photo properties, the time/date written on the photo are in correct time zone.

Feb 11, 2016 5:56 PM in response to jcsyan

jcsyan wrote:

Hi sberman,

So it is the same with you as well.

This is rather crazy, when I air drop to another iphone, the photos actually are showing the correct time/date as the photos were taken. But within our phone, it shows the current location time..This must be so sort of a bug?

It's either a bug or a feature, depending on your perspective. It is showing the time the photo was taken translated to your time zone. I'd never noticed that before.

Sep 16, 2016 9:12 PM in response to jcsyan

Has there been further development on this issue? If it were just photos taken on my iPhone, at least the order would be consistent and it wouldn't be such a big deal, but I've got a mix of photos from other cameras as well - and as a result the order is really messed up. The photos imported from a digital camera are set to the "local" time (i.e. where I was at the time), whereas the ones from the iPhone are off-set to match my "home" time zone. I wind up with the day's photos from one camera showing in time order, and then if the day was long enough, the iPhone's photos start showing up, and it's like the day's starting again.

There's a similar issue, but slightly different, in the Photos app on my desktop. The sort-by-time order of photos is identical in both Photos for El Capitan and Photos for iOS10. However, on iOS, it'll show me the "corrected" time (i.e. a photo actually taken at 3:55pm will display as 6:55am of the next day). In El Capitan, it'll display as 3:55pm, but it'll sort as if it's 6:55am. And if I try, for example, to select all pictures from August 27, it'll miss a lot of photos taken that day because of the time zone offset that I guess Apple is automatically applying to pictures taken with iOS devices.

Is there a way to just make photos sort in the order of the date stamp applied to the photo, without Apple's overcorrection?

Dec 10, 2016 8:26 AM in response to jcsyan

I recently got this problem as well.

This annoyed me a lot because this also affected old photos.

But just a part of old photos are shown in my current time zone.

Others are still in the time zone which the photos are taken.

So the order is totally incorrect !

But all of them are take by my iPhone, so I totally don't understand why they have different behavior.

I am not sure when this problem started.

But I am pretty sure the order of those old photos was correct several months ago.

Maybe this is caused by the iOS update ?

My wife and I traveled Japan last week, and both of us used iPhone 6s to take photos.

After back to my country, we sent some photos to each other by AirDrop.

On my iPhone 6s, the photos I took are shown in my current time zone, and the photos my wife sent to me are shown in Japan's time zone.

On my wife's iPhone 6s, all the photos (including what I sent to her) are shown in Japan's time zone, so the order is correct.

This is really a disaster.

In my country, the Apple says they never heard of this kind of issue, so I can't get any help.

Hope we can have some chance to push Apple to fix this issue here.

Is there any way to inform Apple about this ?

I believe this is a technical issue.

camera roll timezone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.