Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini (mid-2010) only outputs HDMI on Startup

I have two mid 2010 Mac Minis on El Cap that have a projector on the HDMI output and a local LCD (Dell E2014T) on the MDP via VGA dongle. The local monitor is set to be the primary desktop and the projector is secondary. However, on startup, the MDP output does not work. The HDMI output works and displays the secondary desktop as it should, but the VGA monitor does not work unless I open display preferences on the HDMI projector, and change the resolution of the VGA monitor or unplug the MDP dongle and plug it back in. It is as if the computer knows that it is outputting the main desktop to the MDP, and system preferences sees the VGA monitor, but it simply will not send a signal to the monitor until action is taken in preferences or physically reseating the connector on the mini.

I did not have this issue at all before updated to El. Cap. on either machine.

I really like the performance boost that El Cap is providing to my older machines but I have to downgrade if this stays an issue. These machine are housed in a production desk that makes it quite difficult to get to the back of them.

Thanks for the help.

Eric

Mac mini

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:15 PM

There are no replies.

Mac Mini (mid-2010) only outputs HDMI on Startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.