Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It won't accept my debit card ?

I Have the Iphone 6 and I need to update my apps on my iPhone 6. I just got a new card and it is active and everything and it keeps saying that it is being decline. Why is that and why do I need to put in a card now to update my apps ?

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 10:31 PM

It might be because it's a debit card, not all seem to still be accepted, and might no longer be accepted at all in some countries.

For a card to have a chance of being accepted it needs to be registered to the same name and address (including format and spacing etc) that you have on your iTunes account, and have been issued by a bank in the country where you are (and therefore the country which is on your iTunes account). If it is then you could check with the card issuer to see if it's them that are declining it.

You don't need to put in a new card to download updates to apps (unless you owe money or are the family organiser in family sharing), but if you have a card on your account then it has to be a valid card. Have you tried logging into your account, not when trying to download something, and seeing if you get the 'none' option so that you can remove your existing card : Change or remove your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support ? If you can you should then be able to download updates (and possibly try entering the new card's details from scratch)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 11, 2016 10:31 PM in response to Kamken10

It might be because it's a debit card, not all seem to still be accepted, and might no longer be accepted at all in some countries.

For a card to have a chance of being accepted it needs to be registered to the same name and address (including format and spacing etc) that you have on your iTunes account, and have been issued by a bank in the country where you are (and therefore the country which is on your iTunes account). If it is then you could check with the card issuer to see if it's them that are declining it.

You don't need to put in a new card to download updates to apps (unless you owe money or are the family organiser in family sharing), but if you have a card on your account then it has to be a valid card. Have you tried logging into your account, not when trying to download something, and seeing if you get the 'none' option so that you can remove your existing card : Change or remove your Apple ID payment information - Apple Support ? If you can you should then be able to download updates (and possibly try entering the new card's details from scratch)

Jun 2, 2017 9:02 AM in response to King_Penguin

Are you apple support? If so, thanks for making it so difficult. I am an American, living in Kuwait. Bought an iPhone 6, excuse me, a $480 iPod, excuse me, not even that because I literally can't do anything. I have an American Visa debit card, because Americans can't get a Kuwaiti bank card anymore. So with my VivaKW phone plan, how am I supposed to do anything on your oh so wonderful phone? Now I remember why I left Apple products in the dust a few years ago.

Jun 2, 2017 9:08 AM in response to willstout19

Are you apple support?

You know that I'm not 'apple support', you know that I'm just a fellow user and that these are user-to-user forums.

Only being able to use a card issued by a bank in the country where you are is a way of checking that you have a valid billing address in it and are therefore able to use its store. Accounts can be created without having to give payment details, that will let you download free items.

It won't accept my debit card ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.