Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

On my iPhone, I've seen that the software updates are already downloaded and taking up space, but when installed, they free up the space. Is this also the case for MacBooks?

As in, the software updates in the Mac App Store (not the full upgrades, just the small updates that come out from time to time) are already on the Macbook, taking up space, but installing them will free up space.

I'm running a Late 2010 Macbook Air with Mac OS X Version 10.8.4, 1.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 2 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM, with the stock 64 GB SSD.

Thanks in advance.

MacBook Air, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 4:14 PM

An update is frequently performed by some executable module. The update may involve a disk image file. These would be deleted as part of the update procedure.

3 replies

On my iPhone, I've seen that the software updates are already downloaded and taking up space, but when installed, they free up the space. Is this also the case for MacBooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.