Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete locally cached iCloud Drive documents

Hello.

I want to delete some offline documents locally cached to my iPhone from iCloud Drive app, without deleting it from iCloud. How can I do that?

Thank you.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 10, 2016 2:08 PM

Settings - icloud - iCloud drive - off, wait 10 minutes after that turn on again. All your cache files will be deleted.

8 replies

Sep 6, 2016 6:28 AM in response to Xaero182

Your beef is with the implementation of iCloud Drive by Apple as it does not suit your needs.

So be it. FoxFith's explanation is accurate. There is, at present, no selective sync for iCloud Drive.

That you don't agree is moot. It is what it is.

Send Apple feedback on your concerns here >> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

For your scenario, just place the desired presentation(s) in iCloud Drive and store the unneeded ones in another folder as you search for a solution to your needs.

May 4, 2017 11:10 AM in response to BrandonJacob

The correct answer is given by koraycng below. Koraycng's answer should be moved to the top. I just checked and it works!

The question was about selectively deleting some cached files. Koraycng offered a brute force solution that will delete all cached files and will waste bandwidth by having to start the iCloud Drive sync all over. use this solution only, if you are desperate to remove all local copies.

Feb 11, 2016 4:33 PM in response to karahbit

Sorry but you can't. If you delete the local copy from iCloud Drive it will automatically delete the iCloud copy and also delete any copy on any other device connected to the same iCloud Drive account. iCloud Drive is a syncing service, not a cloud-only storage service. If you need a cloud-only storage solution you may want to consider 3rd party cloud options. You may also want to suggest that Apple offer more options via http://www.apple.com/feedback/icloud.html

Sep 6, 2016 5:09 AM in response to FoxFifth

Sorry, but I do not fully agree with your explanation. It may not be a cloud-only storage, but there seems to be no reason for letting the user enforce a file to (not) be available on your local device. An approach that is automatic is not the solution. When the device gets full, I want to be able to select files that I know may be de-cached (i.e., not effectively deleted).

Allow me to illustrate the disadvantages of this approach: I was traveling and wanted to put my presentation on my iPhone. I downloaded keynote and found (after the 500+MB download) that there was no more room for all my presentations. I am not interested in all the presentations, just the one I was working on. This needs to be addressed.

Hence, this has nothing to do with iCloud not being cloud-only storage. If I store 100GB in iCloud, I want to be able to be able to override for files whether they are locally cached or not.

Sep 6, 2016 7:59 AM in response to LACAllen

LACAllen wrote:

Your beef is with the implementation of iCloud Drive by Apple as it does not suit your needs.

So be it. FoxFith's explanation is accurate. There is, at present, no selective sync for iCloud Drive.

That you don't agree is moot. It is what it is.

Send Apple feedback on your concerns here >> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

For your scenario, just place the desired presentation(s) in iCloud Drive and store the unneeded ones in another folder as you search for a solution to your needs.

Couldn't have said it as well myself!

Sep 6, 2016 8:00 AM in response to Xaero182

The next operating system version will change this. In macOS Sierra you will be able to use "Optimize storage" and keep older documents only in iCloud, with out locally cached copies.

Look at the iCloud Drive section of this preview: http://www.apple.com/macos/sierra-preview/

Optimized Storage

When you need more space, let your Mac find it for you.

Storage space maxed out? No problem. macOS Sierra can help make more room by automatically storing rarely used files in the cloud and keeping them available on demand. It can also help you find and remove old files you no longer use. So there’s always room on your Mac for new files and the ones you’ve used most recently.

Delete locally cached iCloud Drive documents

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.