Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad pro screen clicking/popping when pressed in certain areas - does this also happen with you iPad pro??

Hi

so I bought the iPad pro (128gb wifi only space grey) in December which I love............and would love more if it wasn't for the screen popping issue.

now I will put my hands up, I do have sensitive hearing (which is why I've been asking a hard of hearing Relative to double check I haven't been going mad) so this is probably driving me crazier than the average person.

i Have taken the iPad to the Apple Store at the beginning of January (1st replacement same problem), mid january (staff couldn't hear it on a busy saturday so i decided to see if it would sort itself out) and today/mid February (where the apple staff could hear the problem and issued me with my 2nd replacement which had the same issue)

now I'm trying to work out the chances that I could receive 3 faulty iPad pro models in a row as however lovely the Apple Store staff is I really don't want to go in again unless I have to.

i Have the following theories:

- I have gotton unlucky 3 times and I need to decide whether to lump it or go for 4th time lucky

- my local store stock source is a dodgy batch and getting a replacement from another store may be the answer

- every single iPad pro has this issue and only a few of us has sensitive enough hearing to notice it.

So its a lot to ask but could I ask any fellow iPad pro owners to try tapping their iPad pro screen (about 1 inch above the home button is the most spot) and see if you hear it too.

refer this this video to see what I'm talking about - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TJcJHrSxQPQ

thank you in advance - you are really helping me out

iPad, iOS 9.2.1, iPad pro

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 2:51 PM

So an update:

i went back to my Apple Store today to see if they could help once and all - 1st off the staff at my local Apple Store went above and beyond to sort this all, could not fault them.

i actually saw the same store member as yesterday which helped things out. He took the iPad round the back to check it out and asked several other staff to listen. There was another staff member with exactly the same iPad as me who did not have the same problem but they could do a comparison which was good. So there was no problem in getting iPad pro number 4 - they tested the new one out back straight away and said they couldn't hear anything with the new one - however both parties wanted to double check so it was decided that I'd go off for an hour+, have lunch, play around with it for a bit (as iPads when on are warmer then off iPads straight from storage) and then come back in an hr or 2 and they'd test it round the back again.

So I went back 90 minutes later and the staff took it round the back and after a while the store member that had been helping me the last couple of days said that number 4 had exactly the same problem.

so both parties were in agreement that lightning striking 4 times is just too unlikely and that one of 2 conclusions was true

- this particular batch from the uk warehouse (which all Apple stores in the uk get there stock from -so going to a different Apple Store wouldn't solve it) is faulty so a good number from the uk have the same problem but thankfully for them don't have my bat like hearing. The thing is that Apple Store don't know when new batches ship from the factory to uk warehouse so it's hard to test that theory

- considering that I have now tried a new iPad pro, mid December, early Jan and now mid Feb the chances are that all 4 iPad pros I've used are not from the same batch and the iPad pro screen click is a much wider problem.

it could be a problem with a specific factory machine or the build process in general meaning a huge number of iPad pro have or will develop this issue (perhaps all of them)

My Apple Store gave me 2 options of over the next fortnight deciding to keep or return the 3rd replacement for a full refund (I did ask if I could come back in a couple of months and try another one when in theory they'd have a new batch - they said I could try but couldn't guarantee they would be able to replace it given the time lapse)

the the only way that this may get knocked on the head if this is a common issue is to report the issue via the Apple Store/sending them corspondance, even social media like this forum and videos like the one I posted. Apple don't look into/solve issues unless a high enough percentage report it to them (which at that point they are good at solving it)

For the time being I'd suggest the following:

- try to press as lightly as possible (I am debating whether to use a screen protector or not for this reason

- keep the iPad cool when possible - the last 2 iPads I tried did not start clicking till they'd been on for an hour and that Apple staff member had been turned off for a while and cold/cool to touch - so the iPad pro may not like the heat (And I realise that my radiator in my room has a broken radiator which won't turn off so could be shoting myself in the foot) - turn iPad off rather then sleep mode when you can and store in cool location.

i Haven't decided yet if I'm going to refund or not but I think I may keep hold of it, try the above and probably replace it earlier than I usually would an iPad model (in 1-2 years time rather than my 3+ years) when hopefully by then apple would of silently solved this issue if enough people report it.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 2:51 PM in response to applemango85

So an update:

i went back to my Apple Store today to see if they could help once and all - 1st off the staff at my local Apple Store went above and beyond to sort this all, could not fault them.

i actually saw the same store member as yesterday which helped things out. He took the iPad round the back to check it out and asked several other staff to listen. There was another staff member with exactly the same iPad as me who did not have the same problem but they could do a comparison which was good. So there was no problem in getting iPad pro number 4 - they tested the new one out back straight away and said they couldn't hear anything with the new one - however both parties wanted to double check so it was decided that I'd go off for an hour+, have lunch, play around with it for a bit (as iPads when on are warmer then off iPads straight from storage) and then come back in an hr or 2 and they'd test it round the back again.

So I went back 90 minutes later and the staff took it round the back and after a while the store member that had been helping me the last couple of days said that number 4 had exactly the same problem.

so both parties were in agreement that lightning striking 4 times is just too unlikely and that one of 2 conclusions was true

- this particular batch from the uk warehouse (which all Apple stores in the uk get there stock from -so going to a different Apple Store wouldn't solve it) is faulty so a good number from the uk have the same problem but thankfully for them don't have my bat like hearing. The thing is that Apple Store don't know when new batches ship from the factory to uk warehouse so it's hard to test that theory

- considering that I have now tried a new iPad pro, mid December, early Jan and now mid Feb the chances are that all 4 iPad pros I've used are not from the same batch and the iPad pro screen click is a much wider problem.

it could be a problem with a specific factory machine or the build process in general meaning a huge number of iPad pro have or will develop this issue (perhaps all of them)

My Apple Store gave me 2 options of over the next fortnight deciding to keep or return the 3rd replacement for a full refund (I did ask if I could come back in a couple of months and try another one when in theory they'd have a new batch - they said I could try but couldn't guarantee they would be able to replace it given the time lapse)

the the only way that this may get knocked on the head if this is a common issue is to report the issue via the Apple Store/sending them corspondance, even social media like this forum and videos like the one I posted. Apple don't look into/solve issues unless a high enough percentage report it to them (which at that point they are good at solving it)

For the time being I'd suggest the following:

- try to press as lightly as possible (I am debating whether to use a screen protector or not for this reason

- keep the iPad cool when possible - the last 2 iPads I tried did not start clicking till they'd been on for an hour and that Apple staff member had been turned off for a while and cold/cool to touch - so the iPad pro may not like the heat (And I realise that my radiator in my room has a broken radiator which won't turn off so could be shoting myself in the foot) - turn iPad off rather then sleep mode when you can and store in cool location.

i Haven't decided yet if I'm going to refund or not but I think I may keep hold of it, try the above and probably replace it earlier than I usually would an iPad model (in 1-2 years time rather than my 3+ years) when hopefully by then apple would of silently solved this issue if enough people report it.

Jun 3, 2017 8:13 AM in response to applemango85

I've noticed this for the past few months with my iPad Pro 12", but I figured it was just the Apple Pencil. And it actually was at once; the nib wasn't screwed in properly. However, I decided to check it out for sure just now. The only spot the screen is clicking in is in fact right above the home button!

I really don't want to open another ticket Support right now, because I have one open with both my iPhone and my MacBook… However, with the pending update to iPad Pros and my willingness to sell this one, I need to get it checked out. I'm thankful for my AppleCare right now!

Aug 3, 2017 9:18 PM in response to applemango85

Hi there,

I just got an iPad Pro 10.5 128GB WiFi/Cellular and notice this "popping" when you apply any pressure to the top of my iPad just below the FaceTime camera.

I haven't returned it at all but am wondering if this will just be an annoyance or a future issue that should be addressed now...

I don't have an Apple Pencil but don't want the annoyance for such a premium device...

Just wondering what to do...

Thanks for bringing this up!

Steve

Sep 23, 2017 5:00 PM in response to applemango85

Same problem here, i have an ipad pro 10.5 , 64gb wifi+cell, space gray.

I hear / feel a popping or clicking just under the camera and around that area, i first experienced it tonight just about 3 weeks after purchase, so i googled it and found this thread, im based in Milan, Italy so could be that apple might have gotten a rather big load of these defected screens over here in EU, I'm guessing the glue underneath melts or just unsticks after a tot hour of usage, quite unassuring and bothersome as it makes me wonder if and when the deterioration of the screen will begin to render the otherwise beautiful pruduct usless. I hope for apple and all customers that this is just a small range of defected devices.

Hope to get a mine changed as well.

Sep 27, 2017 7:44 AM in response to applemango85

Hi,

I have the same problem on two of my newer model iPad Pros 12.9" Wifi + Cellular (64GB and 128GB). I bought them in June 2017 after they were released and did not notice the screen clicking until last week. I bought one for myself and one for my spouse, which my spouse uses it more frequently then I do.The screen clicking occurs around the upper left corner (upper being closer to the facetime camera). We called Apple support and the support rep took notes on the issue and we were shipped a box to send it in. After it was sent in it was almost immediately returned saying they could not duplicate the issue. We are taking it into the store today so that the technicians can hear what is going on.

However, upon noticing this issue on one of the iPads I began to test it out on my iPad. Lo and behold it is having the same issue, which seems to be in and around the same spot. Now we are going to take both of them in for a dx with the Apple store support technicians.

Ultimately, this appears to be an issue with the build of the iPad Pro models, so I am hoping that they see this forum and will address all of our concerns. Perhaps it is something to do with the way the glass is made, so that when the iPad becomes heated it becomes flexible and creates a clicking noise?

(From Missouri, USA)

Oct 13, 2017 12:05 AM in response to applemango85

I have this same issue! My 10.5” iPad Pro makes this popping/snapping sound when I apply pressure to top left side of screen as I am grabbing it to pick it up (I dont have any kind of case on it). Glad I saw your post because I figured I’d go into store for replacement since I was worried that this was manufacturing defect and eventually the display would fail, as it feels like something is loose.

Nov 16, 2017 10:03 AM in response to applemango85

Yes mine too. iPad Pro 12,9, 256 from 2017. The first unit had a faint but quite noticable clicking noise when tapping the upper third of the screen (depending on the temperature, this is mostly noticable around the front facing camera).

The second unit (replacement), which i obtained from apple without questions, is even worse and emmits a loud clicking noise in the lower half of the screen, when applying light pressure. It literally behaves like an old macbook trackpad. The best way to reproduce the behaviour is by grabbing the edge with the home button such that the iPad lies between your thumb and the rest of your fingers. Then gently press them together. Along with the clicking noise there is a noticable breathing sound, coming from the air the gets pressed out of through the speakers.

the Second Unit which is way worse then the first one, was not diagnosed as deffective and returned to me as is.

I just received the third box from apple to send it over for inspectio again. Wether they return it again or replace it with another deffective unit, after the third inspectionwe are elligible to get back the money, which i Intend to do. Hopefully the next model has this issue removed.

Feb 11, 2016 5:41 PM in response to applemango85

Got my Space Grey 128GB WiFi on 1/26 and almost immediately put a Tech Armor glass screen protector on it. I did not notice any sounds like that, but did not put through heavy paces until the protector was on. I do not currently hear that noise, but boy would that sound kill me hearing that.

Contact AppleCare - this may be something engineering wants to see, and that video is a good reference. Good luck.

Feb 12, 2016 1:58 AM in response to applemango85

I Think I'm going to try calling apple today/tomorrow, notify them that it's happened with the second replacement as well and see if they have any additional ideas but I think getting yet another replacement would be difficult because that would be difficult.

Its possible I've got unlucky 3 times but i am last gasp wondering if my local store stock warehouse has a faulty batch of this particular model (though surely another customer would have noticed by now - my local Apple Store has said I'm the only one, but they did confirm they heard it too and I wasn't going mad)

The only thing is does apple have stock warehouses around the country (I'm uk south based) - If not I could have one more shot when I visit family up north

I am starting to think I may have to lump it

Feb 12, 2016 2:42 AM in response to applemango85

There is no reason whatsoever for thinking you have to "lump it"

You purchased the same iPad Pro model as I and this was a much more expensive purchase in the UK than what I paid (which was still a very expensive iDevice purchase).

You do not have to settle for a defective product.

If you go back to your Apple Store and ask, for yet, another replacement iPad Pro, have them activate this one in the store so you can check this defect out IN THE STORE before you take it home again only to find the same issue.

If the problem is still there, ask to have ANOTHER new unit pulled and activated to test eveything in the store.

If still an issue, ask them if they can get a couple of units shipped to your local Apple Store from another Apple store location so you can try those for a replacement and return at a later date when those other Apple Store iPad Pro units arrive to test.

Good Luck!

Feb 12, 2016 8:22 AM in response to applemango85

I have this issue too - only really noticed it last night when I was using the iPad on my own in a quiet room - couldn't actually work out where it was coming from at first...

Also, I found a link on Macrumors with other people describing it and a helpful diagram from one poster showing its source.

I got mine at the Apple store in Watford - taking it back there tomorrow. Its one of those things that when you notice it, you can't "un-notice" it.

Its definitely not just you.

Feb 12, 2016 4:34 PM in response to applemango85

Well,

I purchased my iPad Pro when they became immediately availible at the begining of November 2015 and I use my iPad every songle day as eother a drawing sketchbook/tablet and laoptop/MacBook replacement.

My iPad is always with me and working for a couple hours at a time.

I have had mine for three months, now, and itbis not making this noise.

So, it maybe, hopefully, only a small perecntage of units that are exhibitng this particular issue.

Good Luck to you on whatever decision/s you decide.

😉

iPad pro screen clicking/popping when pressed in certain areas - does this also happen with you iPad pro??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.