Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boots up to error screen suggesting restore/verify/

Dual onboard disks verify OK and repair option does not appear. I have even verified the external backup drive. System suggests reloading a much earlier OS (Mavericks) when have El Capitan. Time machine backs up both SSD and HDD but I am nervous about the restore function now. I dread that Time Machine may try to put all the backups on the relatively small 60Gb SSD and crash. Do I have to try to boot up in safe mode and attempt to read the log files? If I can do this, I haven't got any idea what to do with the log files. I have had El Capitan running totally fine for three months to date.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 3:46 PM

6 replies

Feb 12, 2016 2:09 AM in response to DaveMacMini

Just what is the wording of the error message?

You said "repair option does not appear"

You can only repair a system disk if you have not booted fro that disk.

Can you boot to Recovery and repair the disk?

OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Just what do y mean by "System suggests reloading a much earlier OS (Mavericks) when have El Capitan."?

What is "System"? Just how is it suggesting earlier OSX version?

Feb 13, 2016 12:16 PM in response to lllaass

Actually I should not have said error message - it pops up OS X Utilities with the 4 options: Restore from Time Machine, Reinstall OS X, Get help online, Disk Utility. (1)The first choice was worrying me because I have the two onboard drives and have not established yet if I can address each drive from the TM backup.
(2) If I choose Re-install OS X it gives me only the option to install Mavericks, when I had already upgraded to El Capitan, not having bothered with Yosemite.
(3) I chose to use a Windows PC to access help on line as I did not want to complicate things for the MacMini
(4) Using the Disk Utility option, I can select my larger onboard HDD or my OS X BAse system (Disk 1 as it calls it) and choose Verify Disk not Repair Disk
As you correctly say, it seems you cannot repair the system disk, my SSD, since I had booted from it. However, I can choose Repair Disk for the Seagate Backup Plus Disk, tho why that shoudl be necessary I don't know. Now at the last Mac bootup before getting to the options above, it is looking for Apple Keypad (I use Apple mouse) and Apple wireless keyboard (I use the Apple wired keyboard). Finally it finds one of them and shows the 4 options.
I shall of course follow your advice to look at the link you have given "About OS X Recovery" if I can get to that stage on the MacMini itself. In the meantime, I can only thank you for your response.

Feb 13, 2016 12:16 PM in response to DaveMacMini

What model Mac?

Fro what you were offered it appears that you booted to Internet Recovery and that you Mac initially came with Mavericks.

Since you booted to some type of Recovery and could not Repair the startup drive that suggests severe problems with the startup disk.

See if you can copy files from the startup drive to another disk

1. Copying Files to External Hard Drive via Terminal When booted to Recovery?

Do you have access to another mac?

Feb 12, 2016 11:48 AM in response to lllaass

I did try the cmd + D startup routine to get internet support - it got me initially to a display of a circle with a diagonal line through it. When I released keys it went to a world globe with maybe a time figure beneath, but that figure changed so slowly that after 15 minutes I gave up and powered off. Trying a supposed "safe boot" using the shift key, did get me to the Apple, after which the OS X Disk Utility screen appeared again. OK so this time I tried to restore from my backup drive that has data (in separate folders) from both the SSD and the onboard second hard drive. For ages it tried to locate a drive to restore to and so I gave up and went to Apple Support Community which is where you find me now - on the MacMini that did indeed come with Mavericks if not the OS before. It had been used as a server machine somewhere in the USA which I guess is why it has two internal drives, the SSD that is of course used for boot and apps, and the 500Gb spinner used for most data. After getting this Mac maybe eighteen months ago, I upgraded the OS eventually to El Capitan.
Yes I do have access to another MacMini as it happens, tho it is having problems of starting a backup and dropping out after a while.

I shall try the copying of files to another machine, via DVD I guess, and I don't yet know which startup files to copy until I look at the link you gave me. I do recall that terminal mode is available from the drop-down menu of OS X disk utility so we shall see ...
Thanks again, Dave

Feb 23, 2016 3:19 AM in response to lllaass

Finally I find the solution - simply SSD failure. I discover from the Apple agent Storefront, that the brand OCZ has a reputation for early failure compared to many top line manufacturers like WD, Seagate, and SanDisk. It is a SanDisk that has been fitted and everything back to normal. Apparently it is better to use the Apple firewire port if at all possible, as it is quicker than USB2, but hey-ho, if it takes an hour to restore data to original place, I am not that bothered.

Thanks you you Illaass, the community keeps faith in Apple.

Cheers, Dave

Boots up to error screen suggesting restore/verify/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.