Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Disable Magic Trackpad Three Finger Vertical Swipe Gesture

Hi,

I'm experiencing an issue where the three finger swipe down gesture on my Magic Trackpad (original model) is either scrolling to the bottom of the page (in a browser) or moving down to the next item (such as cycling through messages in Mail). This is not enabled in any way in System Preferences, and it doesn't do this with my built-in trackpad. I have been using BetterTouchTool for a while to add custom gestures, with the three finger swipe down being used for "hide". Sometimes, it will hide the window and scroll, and sometimes it will just scroll and not hide the window (generally, if I do the gesture faster it'll perform the "hide" command), but it will never just do the "hide" function. I have also tried the Magic Trackpad with a separate computer (running a clean install of El Capitan) and the same issue occurred.

I'm using an original Magic Trackpad with my Mid 2012 13" MacBook Pro, running the latest version of El Capitan (10.11.3). The system itself was originally Snow Leopard on a 2010 13" MacBook Pro, which I upgraded with every new OS as it came out (so no "big jumps") and eventually migrated to my new machine. This is my first time trying to use a Magic Trackpad with this computer.

I've done some research myself, and found that some people had similar problems and this is might all be some weird holdover from Snow Leopard. My research led me to the following system files in the Library:

AppleBluetoothMultitouch.plugin

AppleBluetoothMultitouch.kext

It was suggested that the "TrackpadThreeFingerVertSwipeGesture" value in their respective info.plist files might need to be changed (they're currently at "2"). I've tried setting the values in both files to 0 then to 1, but didn't see any changes with either (I edited the files using Xcode after disabling SIP through terminal).

Has anyone else experienced this problem or found a resolution?

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3), 13", Mid-2012

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 4:00 PM

There are no replies.

Can't Disable Magic Trackpad Three Finger Vertical Swipe Gesture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.