Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone & iPad with same Apple ID, Dead Wifi after ##21#, Can't call specific number

Hi guys, I really hope someone can help me out with this one. Long story short:

After a weeks vacation when we left our iPhone and iPad at home, my girlfriend's iPhone did get any cell phone signal when we came back, it was saying network unavailable in the upper left corner, then we called Fido, the cell phone company we use, to try to troubleshoot the problem. After trying to isolate the problem by switching my SIM card into her phone and her SIM card into my phone we saw that it was related to her SIM card.

The cell phone cie reseted the network, changed the SIM card two times and after a good 24 hours, her phone was back on track with the exception that she wasn't able to call me and only me. Getting a failed call error. But she was able to receive call from me and everyone else. Also we were unable to set up the voice mail.

As if the phone was thinking that it was my line because of some left over of the passage of my SIM card into her phone....

That's the first problem.... Than we called Fido again. After the usual troubleshooting stuff, (reset the network settings, Restore the device in iTunes, force restart, eject and put back in the SIM) the lady on the line told me to call in the phone app, the number '' ##21# ''. Then BOOM! no more wifi on her phone AND her iPad that is connected to the same Apple ID. (not a network issue as all the other device not related to this specific apple id are ok with this network and the iPad wifi literally drop the moment i punched in this infamous number) When i press on my wifi network in the list, it behave like it accept the password but just doesn't connect to it with the endless spinning wheel.

So, the cell phone die employees are clueless, and now she can't call me and she can't Go on the internet with neither of her devices. I already tried full restore of her phone.

Tomorrow i will try her iPad at my work place to see if it can connect to anther wifi network, in the mean time:

1-Does anyone know what this ##21# code is and how i can restore the damage it has done?

2-Is my SIM card leftover over theory sound good and if yes, what can be done about it, if no then what could cause her phone to have a failed call error to just one number in specific?

Thank in advance!

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 12, 2016 3:35 AM

Not sure about the SIM card theory, but my educated guess is no... settings don't linger. The SIM card should be "read" on each power up.

The code she had you punch in is a GSM code for call forwarding. She must have felt you have it enabled I guess. There should not have been anything other than stopping call forwarding for her phone, if it was turned on.

User uploaded file

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 12, 2016 3:35 AM in response to MShagwell

Not sure about the SIM card theory, but my educated guess is no... settings don't linger. The SIM card should be "read" on each power up.

The code she had you punch in is a GSM code for call forwarding. She must have felt you have it enabled I guess. There should not have been anything other than stopping call forwarding for her phone, if it was turned on.

User uploaded file

iPhone & iPad with same Apple ID, Dead Wifi after ##21#, Can't call specific number

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.