Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

using Find My iPhone for missing phone if OFFLINE

hi guys.

my dad in another state has lost his iphone and i am trying to help him from another state. needless to say he is not so good with these things.

however, i HAVE previously set up find my iphone, iCloud backup etc and i have saved all his passwords for him.

the issue i am running into is that his phone is showing up OFFLINE.

so what i have done is to check the box that says PLAY SOUND and i have checked the LOST MODE and put MY PHONE NUMBER on the home screen along with a note about a "reward".

can anyone help me explain to my dad what is going on at this point and what the worst case scenario is?

1. am i correct in thinking that the phone battery is likely dead? if you call the phone it goes directly to voicemail.

2. is it necessary for the phone to have a live battery AND access to WIFI or can it have a good battery but no access to wifi to - for instance PLAY A SOUND?

3. if he cannot find the iPhone what do i do next?

A. have him go into the iphone store, buy a new iphone and then hook up his phone to ICLOUD and /download/ his data to the new phone?

B. then he (or i) go into his icloud account and ERASE IPHONE so that if someone finds his phone they can't get his info?

i am a little confused about a lot of this so it would be great to get some clarification. also i am going to have to walk him through this and his hearing is not so good so it is going to be a real pain.

thanks in advance for any help.

JJ

iPhone 6, iOS 8

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 4:23 PM

7 replies

Feb 12, 2016 6:14 AM in response to hotwheels22

re: 1. - phone is either dead or simply powered off.

re : 2. - it needs both power and connectivity to receive the command to play a sound.

re: 3A. - if you have backed his phone up to iCloud, yes, you can get his data back.

re: 3B. - you can send the erase command, but with Find my Phone enabled as you have, the data is already secure. Without his Apple ID and password, nobody can access the phone for any purpose. It is of zero value to anyone else.

re: 4. - most phones never show up again. The current holder of the phone may turn it on for a few minutes, but once they see the activation lock or LOST MODE screens, they know the phone is useless to them.

Feb 12, 2016 6:19 AM in response to LACAllen

hi LACallen

thank you.

so basically he can walk into an Apple Store and buy a new phone and then simply have them hook it up to his new iCloud account with a new SIM card. and then he just has to wait to let it load his data?

or does he need to go to an ATT store and tell them he lost his phone and they need to somehow let go of his account so he can get a new phone?

you know what I mean. like if I had to give him little baby steps to get up and running?

also, I suppose in the meantime he can get some kind of 'go' phone from Walmart or something to just be able to make calls?

Feb 12, 2016 2:59 PM in response to hotwheels22

yep....

If he buys at the Apple Store, he will pay full retail, but gets an unlocked phone that can be used with any carrier.

You might want to check this out though... Apple now offers a least-to-own type program.

http://www.apple.com/shop/buy-iphone/iphone6s

Buying at AT&T may get him a lower upfront cost, but he may pay more in the long run.

In either case, once he sets up his phone, he signs in to iCloud and finds the backup you made and gets his data back.

I am not sure if it makes any economical sense to get a cheaper phone to just make calls.

using Find My iPhone for missing phone if OFFLINE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.