Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! Spotlight doesn't show Applications in results - El Capitan

Dudes!! I have NO idea what the heck happened, but now all of a sudden when I "Cmd-Space" and open Spotlight to open an app instantly while working in another app, Spotlight NO LONGER shows ANY apps in the results! At all! The most it'll do is show an app as being in the Mac App Store if I've got it there and then I can click "open" from the app store!!!

What the heck is that all about? That's a major Workflow that I use all day long. Haven't been able to find anything about it anywhere!
User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Feb 11, 2016 8:34 PM

5 replies

Feb 11, 2016 9:25 PM in response to ckuan

Hey man thanks. Not sure what you mean with updating my forum profile on OS X, but there's a WHOLE HOST of dramas going on. YES all of the proper things are checked, NO I cannot set it up to "reindex" the spotlight search like some pages have suggested, but ALSO the HardDisk has somehow been renamed " " (all spaces) and I can't rename it to anything at all or it just gives the error that that name isn't usable, please try less characters and no punctuation marks. So "a" doesn't even work!

I'm uploading a video to Youtube right now walking through the myriad of errors I'm having with this hard drive....argghhhh
User uploaded file

Feb 14, 2016 1:27 AM in response to ckuan

Ah I gotcha, but in this case, the gigantic screenshot right above that line that shows El Capitan should be a dead giveaway! 🙂

Still having this slew of problems:

Spotlight doesn't show anything but definitions
Can't rename the Hard Disk anything at all - it's just stuck on " " (a whole bunch of spaces)

I've been doing a bunch of searches to find out how to force a reindex for spotlight, and the terminal commands I've found aren't working either, getting a permission denied issue.

I was worried about a year or so ago that there was some kind of malware or spyware on my machine, when I would go to google or a number of other sites, right before it would finish loading it would flash a strange rectangular outline shape really quickly - I was worried it might be like a keylogger software or something that got installed somehow, we had an issue with our debit cards being discovered a few times last yea

Not sure if these are further issues from the same thing, (never really verified that it was the case, just uninstalled Chrome and haven't used it since then) but this last error with Spotlight has just been this past week or so that I've noticed it.

Feb 14, 2016 1:45 AM in response to KenMDT

download and install this and see if resets some things for you.

Download OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 Combo Update

you could also try deleting your Spotlight preferences file. Then restart the Mac.

here is the path

User uploaded file

The Users > Home > Library maybe hidden, if so

In Finder Click go on the menubar, press the option/alt button, and the Library should be reveaed

in the drop down.

HELP! Spotlight doesn't show Applications in results - El Capitan

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.